Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if you guys can help me settle a bet with a Ferrari owner friend of mine. I have a 2003 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa and he has a 2002 360 with the F-1 tranny. I say our transmissions are essentially, if not identically, the same. He says his is "better" (ie; faster shifts and more reliable). Who wins this bet??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You do.

The CC tranny was based off of the 360, and slightly improved.

If you have actually done a service on your car, then the software is much better, and the clutch is a twin tang.

·
Registered
793 Posts
They are identical systems.

It is possible the shift times are a little faster in the 360 but not by much.

Remember that Fiat owns Ferrari and Maserati and now there is considerable cross-platforming.

The new California is a derivative of the Gran Turismo at 2X's the price!

And the term "reliable" is a misnomer for that set-up!

·
Registered
141 Posts
He wins hands down. They are entirely different gearboxes and F1 systems.
The 4200 F1 system is identical-not exactly the same- as the 575M.
On your car the F1 actuator is mounted on the left hand side in front of the axle, his is on the right hand side aft of the axle just like the 575. The software in the two cars is TOTALLY different. The 360 DOES shift faster.
As far as reliability you cannot compare the two, Ferraris average 2500 miles a year and while I do not know the Mas average, it has to be much higher. So the problems will not surface as often. With that said, when I worked at
FMLI we did not see too many F1 system failures on ANY Ferrari, however we saw TONS of Maserati F1 failures. Now give him his money.

·
Registered
793 Posts
He wins hands down. They are entirely different gearboxes and F1 systems.---.
Does not appear to answer the question.

My assumption in this question is not that the transmissions are "physically" the same but that they operate in a similar fashion.

They do operate in a similar fashion.

If the question was as to the physical nature of the two boxes as being similar then it may answer the question.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kent: Before I pay up on this bet, are you saying that the Ferrari F-1 tranny is more reliable than the Maserati F-1 merely because the Ferrari is driven less thereby "stretching out" the time before the Ferrari needs a new clutch? If so, I'm not sure I would consider that a "reliability" factor. I appreciate your thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts