Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone speak to the value of an extended warranty relative to the reliability of the GranTurismo? I have a 2017 GranTurismo MC with 7,800 miles on it and the warranty expires in July. According to the dealer, I can buy an extended warranty that covers an additional 2 years. I plan to drive the car a bit more the next few years, but it won‘t see more than 20k. I just don’t have any perspective on what breakdowns are common and the typical repair costs. Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first quote I received was $5,200 to cover everything (engine, drivetrain, electronics, interior, etc.) for 24 months. That coverage would begin when once the factory warranty ends. I’m told it will cover everything inside and outside the vehicle except for normal wear and tear such as brakes, oil changes, etc. I have not reviewed the policy documents yet, but that will be my next step in addition to seeking a couple more policy quotes.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The first quote I received was $5,200 to cover everything (engine, drivetrain, electronics, interior, etc.) for 24 months. That coverage would begin when once the factory warranty ends. I’m told it will cover everything inside and outside the vehicle except for normal wear and tear such as brakes, oil changes, etc. I have not reviewed the policy documents yet, but that will be my next step in addition to seeking a couple more policy quotes.
Don't walk away from the dealerships extended warranty...RUN away. Maserati will deny almost every claim stating that the item or items in question are "wear" items and aren't covered. Ask the dealership for a SPECIFIC list of items that are covered and items that are not. The "are not" list is about 5 pages, whereas the "are" items are about 1/2 page. This has been discussed many times here.

If you're concerned about an extended warranty, shop around.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I thought the Maserati extended warranty had the same coverage as the factory warranty?

$2500/yr is pretty insane though..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't walk away from the dealerships extended warranty...RUN away. Maserati will deny almost every claim stating that the item or items in question are "wear" items and aren't covered. Ask the dealership for a SPECIFIC list of items that are covered and items that are not. The "are not" list is about 5 pages, whereas the "are" items are about 1/2 page. This has been discussed many times here.

·
Registered
374 Posts

I agree with jw.... given the low miles... not a daily driver, original owner right? The only thing that would brake would be items like the battery but not wear on tires or replace your engine because "it starts weird"...

Just keep Cherrying the car for trade in...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Only reason I got an extended warranty was because the dealer dropped the ball on my delivery, which was a condition of the sale. I could have pulled out after all the work and money they put into getting the deal done, that they offered me a few options to make up for it. Instead I said give me the extended warranty for $1000 as opposed to $5000. We settled on $1500 and it's a 4 year ultimate package which covers everything on the vehicle. $375 a year for that kind of piece of mind for 4 years was money well spent to me considering, in the unlikely event, replacing any major part would be well over that price.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
533 Posts
That is insane, you don't need this. There are many 3rd party warranties if you are desperate to have one for fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,858 Posts
Extended warranties are just another scam to milk you out of money. The vast majority of repair expense you'll spend is gonna towards wear and tear stuff like brakes, tires, filters, battery, etc. It's extremely rare for main components like the engine and drivetrain to break down (unless you bought a lemon).

Extended warranties belong in the same category as rust-proofing and sealants........total rip-offs.

Reactions: ddsski and DSGT

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's what I remember my 2 year extenend warranty repaired after original warranty was over.
1st year- 1.left front wheel accelerator sensor replcement(check suspension light came on),
2.replace 2 suspension shock absorber(don't remember 2 rear or 2 same side)
3.replace right wheel acclerator sensor.

2nd year- 1.reprogram driving learning computer?
2. replacing both front & right valve gasket cover.
3. fixing rattle noise when idle by realign and reinstall of exhaust.

That's what I remember for now. I read so many bad things on maserati extend warrranty but it all worked out well for me. It was my weekday commute car(over 12k year) so I got it but you don't really drive that much and has low miles and for $5,200? I don't know. My delaer covered 1st year and I paid extra $2000 for the 2nd year, I think it was worth it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
At 7800 miles , the odds of anyhting happening over next 2 yrs are nil at best.....think twice about making that DONATION.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
648 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts