Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Based partly upon previous posts on this Board, I did a 2-stage conversion of my '05 Coupe CC's exhaust system.

Stage 1: Removed the middle X-Pipe and Resonator/Mixer and replaced it with 2 straight pipes that go from the headers back to the mufflers, but the shop also welded in a small glass-pak into each of these to minimize the possibility of a "pop-pop-pop" upon deceleration. Got about a 10-15% increase in volume without any change in pitch. Cost me $200.

Stage 2: On Tuesday we removed the OEM mufflers and replaced them with small Magnaflow mufflers. They then fabricated a Y-pipe and custom fitted two 4-inch diameter round DT Performance stainless steel exhaust tips. Cost $775.

First, it looks awesome. They are slightly bigger than the OEM rectangular tips, but they fill the space pefectly without looking crowded or jammed in there.

Second, the sound is incredible!!!! Rich, deep baritone exhaust note at idle. I get all kinds of looks and thumbs-ups at stop lights. In 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear under nominal throttle, such as when cruising at a steady 3,000 to 4,000 rpms, the sound is fairly loud but not extreme. Most importantly for what I was looking for, the exhaust note is still a rich, deep, big-V8 baritone note. Probably a 35-40% increase in volume, based upon my seat-of-the-pants estimate.

At higher revs, such as under WOT (Wide Open Throttle), I frankly think it still sounds pretty stock once you get above 4,000 and really pushing the maximum amount of air through the system. So it's the best of both worlds to me.

Bottom line: I'm ecstatic. Best $975 I ever spent on a car mod. When I was buying my car I drove an '03 coupe CC with a Tubi and based upon my recollection, I like mine better. It sounds louder, deeper and very exotic, yet it is not annoying loud to where you get a headache or can't carry on a conversation with a passenger.

Thanks to all the previous pioneers who posted their exhaust mod experiences.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am glad you were happy with your new exhaust note. I do the same modifications to all my cars. I am soon going to do something similar to what you did on my Gransport.

However, I suggest finding a new shop. They overcharged you significantly. Before I was a repeat customer at my shop they charged me $25 to remove the resonators and weld in straight piping, and if I wanted glass packs, they charged me $15 per unit they installed. So the 1st stage of your mods should not have cost you more than $60. As for the second stage the custom exhaust pipes should run about $200(they also custom fit the pipes into my bumber which they cut to mold around pipes). I am not sure how much the cost of the magnaflow mufflers were but you entire project should have cost no more than $500.

But, if the people did a good clean job sometimes it could be worth paying the extra money. I got lucky with my shop, they do a professional job and I pay very low prices now that I am a good customer of theirs.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
MaseratiGSport said:
I am glad you were happy with your new exhaust note. I do the same modifications to all my cars. I am soon going to do something similar to what you did on my Gransport.

However, I suggest finding a new shop. They overcharged you significantly. Before I was a repeat customer at my shop they charged me $25 to remove the resonators and weld in straight piping, and if I wanted glass packs, they charged me $15 per unit they installed. So the 1st stage of your mods should not have cost you more than $60. As for the second stage the custom exhaust pipes should run about $200(they also custom fit the pipes into my bumber which they cut to mold around pipes). I am not sure how much the cost of the magnaflow mufflers were but you entire project should have cost no more than $500.

But, if the people did a good clean job sometimes it could be worth paying the extra money. I got lucky with my shop, they do a professional job and I pay very low prices now that I am a good customer of theirs.
i am amazed once again by your post.
"$25 to remove the resonators and weld in straight piping"

how much is the average hourly charge for a mechanic??

last i check $25 cannot even get a decent mechanic to lift a maserati up on the stand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do the same modifications to all my cars. I am soon going to do something similar to what you did on my Gransport.
You must be getting a volume discount. What is your muffler shop's hourly rate? $60 for Stage I??? Parts alone are more than that.

I was originally quoted $350-450 for Stage II. But then they discovered that it was not a straight-through fabrication. You may be surprised to find that the removal of the under-body air valance exposes a necessity for the piping to go up & over, then around some drive and suspension components. After watching most of the activity from the the Starbucks across the street while getting bunch of paperwork done, I can confirm that the extra hours they spent were real.

They apologized for the mis-quote. I thought the issue was reasonable and I'm happy with the work they've done on this and my other cars, too. Lots of pipe-bending involved. They also had to custom-fabricate a Y-Pipe to accept the 4-inch dual tips and fit into them to rear valance perfectly, since there is no dual-outlet small Magnaflow mufflers.

Good luck with your mod....hope you really do get in & out for only $500.

·
Registered
513 Posts
MaseratiGSport said:

Jeeeez, where is your shop, Tijuana?? The shop where I did the "stage 1" mods, was as barebones as you could imagine and the glasspacks alone were $60. The labor to fabricate pipes were extra. All in all, it took the shop about 1-2 hours to complete the job. Labor rates here in Nor Cal are $86 hr.

·
Registered
173 Posts
MaseratiGSport said:
.....entire project should have cost no more than $500.
That is cheap. Not every one will get that price.

I put the pipes instead of the rear mufflers. It cost me about $400(for labor and pipes) to fabricate the stainless steel pipes then weld it to the chrome tips(another $100). It took about 4 hours to do that. The guy that made it said that it is quite hard to bend the stainless steel pipe(it is pretty short pipe). The final result is good on my coupe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why upgrade exhaust on a GS??

MaseratiGSport said:

I'm genuinely curious here. I have recently acquired an '06 GS after driving an '04 CC for about 15 months, and am thrilled w/ the enhancements, in particular, the new exhaust design (of course, along with all of the other enhancements). I was of the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that Tubi was actually involved in the redesign of the exhaust system. Either way, how much and in what area(s) specifically are you expecting to enhance the already enhanced exhaust system on your GS? I've recently done the ECU chip upgrade and will install the BMC air filter shortly, but beyond that, I was advised that an upgrade to the exhaust system would have marginal impact at best..both hp levels and sound..the latter of which of course is a rather subjective element. Let me know your thoughts on this if you wouldn't mind. Or anyone else w/ experience in this area of interest as well.
Thanks much,
Microfuelcellar
'06 GS Nero Carbonio

·
Registered
18 Posts
demoe said:
Jeeeez, where is your shop, Tijuana??

Actually the shop's that do all my work (there are two), are in Beverly Hills and Glendale. Redline is the shop in Beverly Hills, they are located on Sunset and they specialize in Ferraris and Lambos, they are a bit pricier than my shop in Glendale which is closer to me, but the Glendale guys specialize in German cars and they do not charge hourly rates so I guess thats why I get the work done for a great price. But if anyone in Socal wants great craftsmanship and good performance parts for Italian cars, Redline is on the Sunset strip near right near the Roxy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
MaseratiGSport
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing