Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last few months I've had a few customers request exhaust manifolds similair to the ones we have built for the Ferrari F355.

I'm trying to get a rough idea of how many people would be interested in exhaust manifolds if the following applied:

Price was roughly $3,000
They were ceramic coated to prevent any heat issues
Added a dyno proven 15rwhp at the minimum
Came with a lifetime warranty.
Had R&D behind them

Attached a picture of the F355 manifolds.

We got peak gains of 16whp and up to 25whp on certain areas of the powerband.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Of Concern to Californians...

Kevin

would they be CARB exempt?

were any of the Ferrari ones used on CA vehicles? If so, were they able to pass Smog tests? Also, where would they go, would they be visable from the engine compartment? (CA has visual inspections)

I would be interested if I would have to worry about the Bi-annual Smog tests....I changed my Pre-Cat on my Lotus and can attest these things can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Demoe, I don't think they would pass the test IF they're noticeable. From what I understand you can't change anything prior to the Cat Converter and be in compliance.

I had to replace the Cat on the Stealth this year, and had a helluva time finding a replacement part. Two on line stores flat out refused to ship to a California address because "it's not legal".

Not sure how true that is. The site that eventually shipped never made a peep about legal issues.

In any case, the car just went thru a test only station and passed with flying colors. Did put a Borla Cat-back system on at the same time I replaced the Cat.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pganmol said:
How many people do you need to start the production? Is it possible to bring the price down?
I don't know yet. I will be having them made regardless for a 4200 once I find another to replace my Spyder I sold in March. I'm just seeing who else is interested. Quanity will bring price down a little bit, that's why I'm trying to determine if a group buy will be possible after they are made or if it's something I just need to sell individually.

Demoe said:
Kevin

would they be CARB exempt?

were any of the Ferrari ones used on CA vehicles? If so, were they able to pass Smog tests? Also, where would they go, would they be visable from the engine compartment? (CA has visual inspections)

I would be interested if I would have to worry about the Bi-annual Smog tests....I changed my Pre-Cat on my Lotus and can attest these things can make a huge difference.
Nope, they would not be CARB exempt. The money to make them CARB exempt wouldn't be justified even if I sold 100 sets which is unlikely let alone the 5-10 I plan on selling initially.

I have sold 104 sets of Ferrari manifolds to date, 63 of which have gone to CA directly. The test car we used was a California car and passed emissions fine.

They pass SMOG test fine and while they are visible what my CA F355 customers tell me is that the people at SMOG don't know how to differentiate an aftermarket header on an F355 from the original.

Again this is all related to the F355 so if you feel that it will potentially cause problems come SMOG time, the modification may not be for you. But from what I can tell you with all of my F355 customers, this has never been a problem and I have sold many sets.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steeldream said:
I had to replace the Cat on the Stealth this year, and had a helluva time finding a replacement part. Two on line stores flat out refused to ship to a California address because "it's not legal".
If you put a disclaimer on their website stating "For off-road use only unless otherwise stated" it is legal, and I won't mislead anybody. These won't be CARB exempt and you may not pass visual inspection, but it's never been a problem in the past so for it to come up would be suprising to say the least.

It's just something that's been brought up in the past and since I have plans of doing it anyways, I'm trying to see if the cost of making a jig will be justified based on how many people want it. As long as I don't lose money, they'll go into production, otherwise they'll be a 1-off custom for my personal car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts