Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2005 QP for 7 months.. i drive 1000-1200 miles per month. The issues I have is that will be my main car. There is no dealer for service nearby (more than 2 hours away) How well will it hold up as it has 24,000 miles currently. I have already noticed little things. i.e. the door handle has slipped and I have to open the driver;s door from outside after rolling the window down
Any thoughts?
thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
I posted a thread on the drivers handle a few weeks ago. IMHO there is a weak point in the design and will fail.

Depending on how adventurous you are you can either fix it yourself or take it in to the dealership. It is about an hour to replace the door handle.

In my case I fabricated a metal eyelet to replace the plastic one that had failed in the original handle and it has worked fine ever since (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you try it yourself then just be aware that there is a bolt holding on the door panel that isn't shown in the service manual (at least in my copy). To remove it you need to pop out the reflector on the outside edge of the door near the bottom.

·
Registered
491 Posts
your car is under warranty, have it taken care of by the dealer if possible. I seem to recall that there's a recall on QP's door handle but that's from distant memory.

jess

·
Registered
340 Posts
I believe that it was the outside door handle and not the inside.

I did my own door handle since I was 4.5 hours from the dealer, I would have had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment, and then probably had to leave the car there for a few days.

Cost vs benefit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the biggest question for me is: how many are using their maseratis for routine everyday driving vs. as a "special event car"? I enjoy driving it so much that it seems foolish to me to have it just sit in the garage
any other thoughts out there?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I guess the biggest question for me is: how many are using their maseratis for routine everyday driving vs. as a "special event car"? I enjoy driving it so much that it seems foolish to me to have it just sit in the garage
any other thoughts out there?
I just retired my 05 QP from daily driver status to special event car. I put 83,000 miles on it first though and it was quite reliable, never stranded me.

Never tired of it and never lost my appreciation of it. It is a bit of a challenge to not keep racking up the miles on it . .

·
Registered
312 Posts
that is great to hear.
when did you replace the clutch and how did you know it was an issue?
thanks
I replaced it the first time at about 28K. The dealer said it was time and with 28K it sounded right. The second replacement was at about 60K and it was slipping a bit. That clutch is still doing fine.
Never have had to change out the F1 pump.
I do drive a lot of highway miles. All miles have been in Sport and Manual modes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Daily driver. 15K in two years of ownership since new. Been to the dealer twice - 6K service and faulty A/C belt (under warranty). Going to the dealer for 3rd time soon to check clutch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts