Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally got off my arse and enquired into replacing my fallen headliner on my 2012. One of the local dealers priced out $5050.00 for alcantara imported from Maserati and $7000 for the labor. (Labor to be performed stateside I presume but maybe that would be presumptuous.) Hey, @Dave Rocks since you've done this before (and would give me a huge price concession) how about I drive to Orchard Park and leave the car with you and later we'll have a couple of beers and I'll treat you to beef-on-weck at Eckls?

Registered
What in thee Eff! I did the job myself and then some, and it is NO WHERE near THAT difficult!

No, but my ex girlfriend took me to Buffalo once and I loved it...I was in Arcade and Aurora as well....Cool area and cool people...J

Registered
Well, I finally got off my arse and enquired into replacing my fallen headliner on my 2012. One of the local dealers priced out $5050.00 for alcantara imported from Maserati and $7000 for the labor. (Labor to be performed stateside I presume but maybe that would be presumptuous.) Hey, @Dave Rocks since you've done this before (and would give me a huge price concession) how about I drive to Orchard Park and leave the car with you and later we'll have a couple of beers and I'll treat you to beef-on-weck at Eckls?
Hey Jim,

So I paid around $2000 - $2200 for Alcantara headline, A, B, C Pillars but I get good prices. I also did not need to pay freight as the dealer was dropping off my buddies 458 to my shop so they brought the crate in the trailer.

It's a big job but not $7K big. I did mine a little at a time as I do most stuff coz I'm so busy. If I did it again, I could do it in one day But it would be a full day.

Jim - give me a call - I'm sure I can connect you with someone your way who can do this for much less. You have my cell.

Registered
BTW - Eckls is long gone. I drive by every day. The owner got sick 5-6 years ago and closed it down. My buddy reopened it, was never the same. He built a new one down town and shut it down during Covid. Both are history now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW - Eckls is long gone. I drive by every day. The owner got sick 5-6 years ago and closed it down. My buddy reopened it, was never the same. He built a new one down town and shut it down during Covid. Both are history now.
......er .... maybe Schwabls?

Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
Holy crap so they want close to $13k for replacing a headliner? Go see a local upholstery shop and see what they say. Does the alcantara need to be replaced or can it be glued back on?

And yeah, beef on weck is killer. I may be heading to Buffalo this fall, was born there and still have family all over the area. Trying to get my soon to be 86 year old dad back there to see family before it's too late. :)

Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
Holy crap so they want close to $13k for replacing a headliner? Go see a local upholstery shop and see what they say. Does the alcantara need to be replaced or can it be glued back on?
My thoughts exactly鈥op notch upholstery shops should be able to make micro incisions in strategic points to introduce glue to a wide spare area, where once the job is completed , it should be just about invisible.. I had something similar done at a shop here in NorCal, years ago .. that is of course if the alcantra otherwise in good shape and you don鈥檛 need to replace it .

Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
My thoughts exactly鈥op notch upholstery shops should be able to make micro incisions in strategic points to introduce glue to a wide spare area, where once the job is completed , it should be just about invisible.. I had something similar done at a shop here in NorCal, years ago .. that is of course if the alcantra otherwise in good shape and you don鈥檛 need to replace it .
I was thinking pull the whole thing and take it apart, clean it up, put some new padding on then glue the old headliner back in. I've never seen the squirting glue thing up there work but a pro would have a better idea than me if that would work. :)

Registered
Guys, the failure is the foam. You cannot just inject glue (or I should say if you care about a good job).

Taking the car apart is no small task. Not difficult but it does take a lot of time.

Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
Ah, if the foam is what fails then yes, so much for the glue injections idea.. 馃槥 . I had the material on a pillar glued that way ( glue injected and then pressed on ) but that was probably just the composite material ( thick plastic or vinyl ) adhered directly to the metal, without foam in between. :unsure:

Registered
Hey Dan,

Really there are two proper ways to do this:

1) Remove the A, B ,C Pillars and headline and replace with OEM parts

2) Remove the A, B, C, Pillars and have a good shop recover them

I suppose a good guy could recover in car but IMO, working upside down, etc and the risk of damage to other parts is just not worth it.

I feel the labor should be $1600 - $2000. That's just my opinion based on doing the job myself :cool:

Registered
Maserati Granturismo
Guys, the failure is the foam. You cannot just inject glue (or I should say if you care about a good job).

Taking the car apart is no small task. Not difficult but it does take a lot of time.

+1 on the injecting glue as a no go. Imagine how hot the roof gets in the summer, so think about the type of glue going off etc.

Registered
My shop showed me alcantara similar material. Looked really nice, but its not alcantara. Save some money.

Registered
the funniest thing about alcantara (which is really a brand name) is that its actually a cheap synthetic suede material and lamborgini and ferrari used it specifically originally cause it was cheaper then all the real leather they used in their cars and it was actually a COST CUTTING material that over the years has some how been branded as luxurious lol because ironically of the company names that now use it.

paying for "Maserati" alcantara is a complete waste as its a fake material that almost any upholstery / fabric shop can buy for you.

Leather is a different story as those companies usually use only a few suppliers and specific "branded" dyes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts