Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am very tempted to buy a restored 72 Indy - a rare beasty in that it is right hand drive.

I'm told this is the place to find experts so here goes........what should I be looking out for? Are there any known problems, areas where rust hides, things that fall off, engine problems that can be lurking to catch out the unwary, or any other nasties that would cost an arm and a leg to put right?

I'm not a rich man so will be running this car on a budget. Also I have had my day with restoring cars so I just want to drive and enjoy it - not spend every weekend up to my armpits in oil, rust and grease. I have owned TVRs in the past so as long as the running costs are similar or lower and there's nothing seriously wrong with this car then I shall soon be joining the ranks of happy owners!

Thanks for looking
Plipton

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have enjoyed reading this piece on 'My Classic Restoration about a guy who bought an Indy. I know you're not after a restoration project but it might give you a few pointers and if your owt like me you'll enjoying finding anything on your preferred Maserati subject.

http://www.myclassiccarrestoration.com/cgi-bin/mb_detail.pl?id=146

He never came back with part two unfortunately.

You might have seen this Indy on Ebay in Cornwall.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maserati-indy-4700_W0QQitemZ380087920696QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item380087920696&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks lads.

Very interesting stuff and I will read and reread all of it several times!

This is the actual car I have been looking at although I saw it advertised elsewhere. The fact it is also listed on Enrico's site hints to me that the owner knows his stuff which is no bad thing.

Despite the info you have pointed me at I have no idea if this is a realistic value or pie-in-the-sky. That one on fleabay looks nice but LHD so not ideal for the UK.

I think it's time to email Enrico and Andy at Bill McG's

Once again, thanks for your help.

Cheers
Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts