Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious how long you guys warm up your cars before you drive? Mine's an '04 coupe with about 30K miles. I live in N.C. so in the winter it's as cold as 30 degrees + or - a few at night, spring and fall usually 50 - 65 + degrees and then summer it's 80's on up to 100. What's the protocol for typical warm up before driving say first thing in the morning?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
439 Posts
From EVERYTHING I have read and been told, it is best to drive the car to warm up the car.
Obviously keeping the RPM's relatively low until it reaches the appropriate operating temperature.

F.Y.I. I am almost sure I have read this in the owners manual as well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx MaSer, that is indeed how it looks to read in the book; "start driving slowly with the engine running at average speed and for the first few miles do not run at max performance until water temp has reached 122 - 140 degrees F." I had a 911 and they told me the same thing, start it and drive basically. Still I just wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing b'c on a cold day it just feels like it should get a couple of minutes first at idle but I guess not.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
From EVERYTHING I have read and been told, it is best to drive the car to warm up the car.
Obviously keeping the RPM's relatively low until it reaches the appropriate operating temperature.

Quote from the Maserati service manual... "Start car, remove MSP, engage first gear and immediately rev to 7000 RPM. This procedure will ensure MNA service revenue" :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote from the Maserati service manual... "Start car, remove MSP, engage first gear and immediately rev to 7000 RPM. This procedure will ensure MNA service revenue" :D
Lol, kind what I thought too, think I'll continue to give her at least a couple of mintues on cold days before we hit the road....

·
Premium Member
726 Posts

Don't believe everything you read. I've found that my Coupe CC is much smoother (clutch + engine) if given 5 minutes at idle to warm up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Don't believe everything you read. I've found that my Coupe CC is much smoother (clutch + engine) if given 5 minutes at idle to warm up.
Well reading this in the manuals from nearly all the cars I've owned, I will believe exactly what it states. It is very simple to start the car, (regardless of outside temps) engage in gear, and drive off changing gears between 3000-3500 rpm's. The car will be at normal operating temps within 5 minutes, give or take.
I do not believe the manufacturers would try to sabotage us otherwise....

·
Registered
233 Posts
I usually give it 5 or so minutes to warm u before I go anywhere, might just be habit though, the firebird won't budge til it's good and warm, but how can you even compare the two...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I always let my cars warm up until the engine "calms down". Much smoother ride down seven story garage if nothing else.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When I first start the car, the CEL stays on for a few 10s of seconds. I always wait for the CEL to turn-off before putting the car in gear. I will then wait until the engine temp gets to 140-150 befor taking the revs above 4000.

Not sure if this is the proper procedure or not.

·
Registered
439 Posts
When I first start the car, the CEL stays on for a few 10s of seconds. I always wait for the CEL to turn-off before putting the car in gear. I will then wait until the engine temp gets to 140-150 befor taking the revs above 4000.

Not sure if this is the proper procedure or not.
X2^^ That's about how I do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts