Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I called my dealer today about a problem that's developing on my car.
Starting about 3 months ago, the engine would tick very loud sometimes, like a hydraulic lifter was collapsed.
It's doing it longer and more frequently now, so I called the dealer about it. They said they had heard of this before, but have never had to fix it, so I should not bring the car in until they speak with their Maserati rep.
Anyone else had this problem before?
Regards,
Sean
'04 Cambio Coupe

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sean I don't know if this is the same thing, but my coupe was ticking very loudly at idle. The engine would drown it out while driving. It sounded like a tappet tick on an older car. The dealer checked it out and determined it was the oil viscosity. They changed the engine oil to Mobil 1 and have not had the problem again.

·
Registered
909 Posts
This is quite common and the switch to Mobil 1 is the noted fix, and generally if you have Mobil 1 and still hear the ticking, letting the engine warm up and going for a brisk drive usually takes care of the problem.. If you still have the ticking I would have it checked out, just in case. I know it tends to be louder on aluminum engines in general, but I tend to err on the side of caution with that noise.

- Mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
The car has 8200 miles and the oil was changed at the dealer around 6,500 miles.
I looked at the receipt and it noted that Mobil 1 was used.
It's done it both hot and cold.
The only thing that seems to stop it is to let the car sit for a while.
I'll check the oil level and see if it's something as simple as that (fingers crossed).

Regards,
Sean

·
Registered
11 Posts
This happens on my 2003 coupe all the time, but is much more pronounced when cold at idle. It tends to get better after the oil is changed, but it never seems to disappear completely.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had it on my 2002 coupe and the dealership added a special lubricant to quiet the lifters. I forget the name of the substance but it was an oil additive.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Bringing up an old thread. I have been hearing a ticking sound from the passenger side of the engine. It usually goes away when the car warms up, but I noticed these past few days its becoming consistant. Any suggestions. I just had a service about 6 months ago.

Is it ok to drive?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Same here.................

I've had the same "ticking" sound on my 2003 Coupe CC at startup since day 1(mileage now at 10,900 miles); especially if I have not driven the car for several days or so. It always disappears after idling for a few minutes or after driving for a short while. My Independent mechanic said it was perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks, I started it up later last night and it was gone. drove about 30 miles total and didnt hear a thing, so i guess it's nothing.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
i dont think its perfectly normal IMO, but as long as its going away i wouldnt worry about it. but it definetly sounds like a sticky lifter to me. i have a mazda that the lifters stick off and on and it goes away after warm up. im very familiar with sticky lifters. hope they go away for ya. i know it can be annoying

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have this problem with my QP.

A ticking from the passenger's side of the engine bay begins after about a minute of ignition. It doesn't go away, ever. I was told that the car's oil was "incredibly gross" after I bought it (used with 16k on the clock). I'v had the oil changed twice by dealer and it still ticks (although it did go away for about a month after the first oil change). Think I need to buy an oil pump and some Mobile1?

·
Registered
583 Posts
When I was looking to buy, I looked at an '04 Coupe with about 4K miles on the clock and it too made that ticking noise. I steared clear of it. In fact, a lot of '02-'04 Maseratis with under 10k miles on them made some kind of engine noise that I wasn't comfortable with. It might be a case of too much sitting around.

I find it hard to believe that a Maserati Tech could not diagnose this problem accurately. It might be an issue that isn't necessarily harmful but very expensive to fix so the techs just tell you to not worry about it.

The only thing I can suggest is to maybe try a heavier weight oil, like that 10W-60 Ferrari Spec oil that Formula Dynamics sells. That and run a can of BG44 (no substitutes) through your fuel system right before your oil change and see if that doesn't help some.

I think all cars need to be driven regularly or they deteriorate quickly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had it on my 2002 coupe and the dealership added a special lubricant to quiet the lifters. I forget the name of the substance but it was an oil additive.
Ditto. Seems to be working.

·
Registered
507 Posts
FWIW - the 2002 and 2004 Coupes I looked at both ticked. The 2006 model I just bought had a noticable lack of this noise. Don't know what to make of it but I was more comfortable buying one that didn't tick than one that did.

Anyone have a 2005 or later one that ticks? Just curious if it might be something that was addressed in the later models?

·
Registered
824 Posts
FWIW - the 2002 and 2004 Coupes I looked at both ticked. The 2006 model I just bought had a noticable lack of this noise. Don't know what to make of it but I was more comfortable buying one that didn't tick than one that did.

Anyone have a 2005 or later one that ticks? Just curious if it might be something that was addressed in the later models?
My 05 ticked a couple of times. Dealer switched type of oil per above and it is fine.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The sound left as quickly as it came. Been about week and no ticking noise. I will inquire about the additive if the sound returns.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Any one knows what is the additif name ? Thanks
You can find some info in a recent thread of mine here - http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/coupe-spyder-gs/37065-ticking-sound-$150-oil.html

My mechanic just suggested using Rislone which appears to have significantly decreased the ticking I was experiencing. There is another additive that ferrari recommends that's referenced in one of the posts as well as different oil recommendations.

Hope there's something useful for you.

Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts