Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used '04 Coupe from Maserati of Minneapolis a few weeks back. They went through the car pretty well before the purchase and it ran fine for the last 600 miles or so.

Today I went out to take her for a drive (the car has sat for 5 days). I warmed up the car with no problems evident. Backed out of the driveway and started down the street. Within 50 feet or so, the engine started to run rough, the engine light came on, and the slow down light came on. I turned around and parked her back in the garage. I let it sit for a half hour and went back out to start the engine. It started smooth but went rough within 4-5 seconds. It now runs rough at idle and seems as if it is only running on 4 cylinders (although exhaust is sputters from both sides of the tailpipes).

Anyone have any guesses as to the problem?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Something is wrong with your Cats...

The slowdown light means your car is overheating the Catalytic Converters... The engine running with one bank gone means one of the cats has broken apart and clogged the exhasut.

Same thing just happeend to my car.

Get it fixed by the dealer under warranty.

·
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The regular warranty is 4/50000 miles, but the Emmissions related components are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles.

Many things can cause it to go bad... Running rich, hitting a bad pothole, etc.

·
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The cats on the Maseratis are known to fail after only a few years. Most people just keep driving with them damaged (unknowingly) until they start making noise or clogging up their exhaust. There are many posts about this on the forum and we hear about it all the time. The dealer uses any excuse to get out of replacing them as they are very costly to repair. Such as having a dent or changing the exhaust. If you're getting the overheat light, it's usually because you have broken up cats that are cloging the air flow and creating a hotter than normal condition. This hotter condition then further speeds up the deterioration. If you're out of warranty we have high flow cats that can be welded in to replace the stock one. Quite a bit less than factory and better performance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The regular warranty is 4/50000 miles, but the Emmissions related components are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles.

Many things can cause it to go bad... Running rich, hitting a bad pothole, etc.
Wow, didn't know that there's 8 years emissions warranty. Does that cover cats, pipes, mufflers, and stuff like O2 sensors under the hood?

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Every car manufacturer is required to provide an extended emmissions warranty to sell cars in the USA. They don't have to warranty their cars but they have to warranty the pollution control devices. Of course like anything, they can find reasons to say it's your fault it failed.

·
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
I believe that it's all Maserati NA, the dealerships love the work and want to help customers as long as they can make money doing it...

As I understand it, all requests and pictures go to FMNA and they make the call on most warranty work. The dealers have to take a lot of flack (sp?) for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts