Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I often read about clutches needed to be addressed, miscelaneous electrical problems that need little work, relays to be adjusted etc but very rare I have the chance to find someone with engine issues here on the forum.
Is the 4.2L Maserati engine that good or maybe because of average low miles on most of them owners don't have any issues yet with it?
Isn't like we need more mechanical failures but it'll be nice to find out more about this amazing engine.:)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Funny you mention that because I was just telling someone the same thing recently....I don't recall a single engine-related issue since I've been on this forum (exactly a year the end of this month).

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's what we need.

:) I am amazed about this fact and that's the reason I came up with this thread.
Let's see what follows.:)

·
Registered
339 Posts
had 67,000 on my 2005, here are the problems I saw:

-prone to tapping when oil isn't changed regularily at 3,000 miles. At 3,500 miles you could hear the engine tapping after idling at traffic light

-Water pump leaking. Starts as a small drip and an odor in the AC system, eventually got to the point where it's leaving puddles in the driveway

-Some gas caps (search for previous thread I explained this in detail on) will leak when the system runs automatic check. Easy warranty fix

-AC system needs recharging yearly.

-Primary Catalytic Convertors (US & Canadian cars) are built into headers and lowest point of the car. Prone to tapping the ground and shattering inside. Replacement runs almost $8k for parts/labor, no aftermarket options

-Clutch use really depends on the driver and how it's initially set-up at the dealership and driving activities. I was getting ~25k miles out of mine.

-O2 sensors shot at 50k miles

-constant check engine light warnings that were sometimes nothing at all. Would require trip to dealer anyway.

I think the engine is pretty solid however the service issue is really the dealer network and how long it takes to get a service appointment and the car taken care of. A simple reset of the CEL ends up being 4 days of the car in the shop.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i believe one or two motors were damaged due to the cat issue. other than that the motor seems to be the strongest part of the car.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Only engine failure I've heard about here in Seattle was self inflicted, caused by an owner who decided to drive his through a rather deep puddle of water after a pretty heavy rain storm. The intake snorkeled the water into the engine and seized it up.

A lot of owners don't realize the air filter and intake is that low on the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have seen 1 motor failure in 5 years with the brand, and that was from water ingestion.

·
Registered
793 Posts
--Is the 4.2L Maserati engine that good or maybe because of average low miles on most of them owners don't have any issues yet with it?---
Engines today are very reliable.

Maserati was smart to use timing chains instead of timing belts in their engines. The engine is very similar to that of Ferrari, but Ferrari uses timing belts which require maintenance every 3 years or 30,000 miles. Few have 30,000 miles on their Ferrari's so it's the time period that comes into play. Thus, engine maintenance on Maserati's is low.

The single most important maintenance feature for any engine is oil changes and regardless of manufacturers saying from 12K miles to as many as 20K miles (Porsche) change the oil and filter every 5K miles max for synthetic oils and 3.5K miles for regular oils. You will never experience an engine problem if you change oil frequently, and if you think the cost is too much to keep your engine healthy get a Honda!

Not much to do to engines anymore so change oil often and just listen for any unusual noises in the interim.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The power plant is rock solid. I have seen one grenade-literally, it threw a connecting rod through the side of the block, but this was a manual transmission, and as far as we or MNA could discern, he probably downshifted instead of upshifted, the errors in the engine ECU (Motronic) were flagged at 8900 RPM!! Other than that they are prone to oil and coolant leaks, usually the front timing cover, oil/water pump and cam covers, I have replaced head gaskets once for an oil leak. I have replaced four or five and rebuilt two for hydrolock from water ingestion. By and large mechanically they are VERY sound.
If the AC system is leaking and needs a recharge annually, it is most likely from the expansion valve o-rings.
The check engine light will only come on if it sees a problem, which might only be stored and not present, however THERE IS A PROBLEM, it is probably being misdiagnosed.Purchase an aftermarket trouble code reader and clear the errors, if they persist, take it in for servicio.
Oxygen sensors should be replaced every 4 years regardless of mileage.
The BEST part in the car was handbuilt by you know who.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The power plant is rock solid. I have seen one grenade-literally, it threw a connecting rod through the side of the block, but this was a manual transmission, and as far as we or MNA could discern, he probably downshifted instead of upshifted, the errors in the engine ECU (Motronic) were flagged at 8900 RPM!! Other than that they are prone to oil and coolant leaks, usually the front timing cover, oil/water pump and cam covers, I have replaced head gaskets once for an oil leak. I have replaced four or five and rebuilt two for hydrolock from water ingestion. By and large mechanically they are VERY sound.
If the AC system is leaking and needs a recharge annually, it is most likely from the expansion valve o-rings.
The check engine light will only come on if it sees a problem, which might only be stored and not present, however THERE IS A PROBLEM, it is probably being misdiagnosed.Purchase an aftermarket trouble code reader and clear the errors, if they persist, take it in for servicio.
Oxygen sensors should be replaced every 4 years regardless of mileage.
The BEST part in the car was handbuilt by you know who.
Yeah you're right about everything, front timing cover leaks I think due to oil expansion, I've noticed coolant smell inside the car when the heater is on..so it might be the water pump leaking.
I'm just interested to see who's Maserati here on this forum has the most mileage and what problems they have had so far. I think it'll be interesting instead of waiting for someone's desperate call for help at the last minute after or is about ready to happen. Let's keep on going with this.
thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Front timing Cover Leak

I had an issue with a small amount of "seepage" from the front timing cover; just a few drops a week, but nonetheless disconcerting. My 2003 Coupe CC had about 10,000 miles on it at the time. I checked with FMOC and found out from then Service Manager John that it was a fairly common problem. Seems that a liquid sealant is used in that area and the area itself has some auckward angles where parts come together. The leak was fixed under warranty and NO problems since (2 years ago). No other "issues" with my car. I do change oil and filter EVERY 12 months, will soon be installing an aftermarket Air Filter from Jeff at Formula Dynamics, and will change out the F-1 relay EVERY 12 months.

·
5,887 Posts
Maserati was smart to use timing chains instead of timing belts in their engines. The engine is very similar to that of Ferrari, but Ferrari uses timing belts which require maintenance every 3 years or 30,000 miles. Few have 30,000 miles on their Ferrari's so it's the time period that comes into play. Thus, engine maintenance on Maserati's is low.
The engine design is shared with Ferrari (430) and Alpha (8C) and both of those also use timing chains. I think it was only the older Ferraris that used belts.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
491 Posts
no ferrari expert here, the previous gen engine in the 3xx used belt. The latest v8 shared with Alfa (please don't spell it Alpha, you don't want people to misspell your name right?) and Maserati is chain based with hydaulic valve lifter, so no more valve adjustments nor 30k belts, yeah!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Engine failure 2004 coupe 44,000 miles

Sorry to inform all of you I just had my engine replaced at 44,000 miles. I was driving on the Turnpike when a slow down light came on. I pulled over and called road side service and the dealer. The dealer said probably a computer problem how wrong he was. Turned out a lifter failed MNA took 11 weeks to replace the engine. It was a comedy of errors dealer took 2 weeks to look at it. MNA asked if it was caused by the customer water damage ect dealer said no. It took MNA 3 weeks to approve, they had the engine in stock, shipped to the dealer, dealer said the wiring for the compressor was different 3 weeks for MNA rep to show up and decide that the manifold was different so the sent the new and the old engine back tho MNA in NJ and swapped manifolds. Took the dealer 2 weeks to install. Car is running better than new thank god it was under warranty. What a way to run a company. They covered my rental car a VW but would not reimburse me for my 3 months lease payments. Hill hold feature stop working when I got the car back MNA would not cover the fix. Still love driving the car out of warranty now and hope the car will last another 44,000 miles. MNA doesn't understand customer service or brand loyalty. I have been driving BMW's for 25 years

·
Registered
793 Posts
JBergstein,

What state are you in?

You may be able to recover the lease payments under your state automobile statutes. Could be covered in your lemon law statute.

Check your lease documents to see if there is any wording covering lost use.

Don't just assume you are SOL because they said so or because they supplied you a rental!

Glad to hear you are back on the road.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Glad someone brought the air intake up. It is literally inches from the ground (lower left front corner on the CC). I found out the hard way, but luckily I was just rolling when I hit water and the engine stalled almost immediately. Only had to change the air filter this time. My mechanic told me he has replaced 4-5 of these beautiful engines due to the pistons being broken from water intake. Hit a deep puddle at speed and the engine is toast! There should be a BIG warning sign somehwere.....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks.

:) Thank you all for sharing all these experiences, we all need them and I just love the coments all of you have: good or bad.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts