Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil level light came on tonight on my way home and I checked it manually and it is indeed near the MIN marker on the stick. Oil still looks pretty clean, I had it serviced in August, and have put maybe 4k miles on the car.

Simple Answer is to just add Oil, but why would this come up all of a sudden? I haven't had any oil leaking in my garage. where did it go?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Oil level light came on tonight on my way home and I checked it manually and it is indeed near the MIN marker on the stick. Oil still looks pretty clean, I had it serviced in August, and have put maybe 4k miles on the car.

Simple Answer is to just add Oil, but why would this come up all of a sudden? I haven't had any oil leaking in my garage. where did it go?
I had this strange phenomenon happen to me a couple of months back while on a road trip. Oil level was perfect the week before, with no apparent oil leakage anywhere. But then in the middle of my trip, the 'oil light' went full illuminous. Sure enough, the dipstick confirmed a low level. I found an auto parts store and topped off with a required 1 quart. Haven't heard a peep since and level is still perfectly fine... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engines burn oil, up to a quart every 1k miles is considered normal with some brands.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Engines burn oil, up to a quart every 1k miles is considered normal with some brands.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Definitely normal in some bi-turbo BMW's that i have owned, but the Masi still doesn't burn off hardly any... (6,250 oil change interval)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Definitely normal in some bi-turbo BMW's that i have owned, but the Masi still doesn't burn off hardly any... (6,250 oil change interval)
1 quart every 1k miles is still the spec. seems like a lot for 21st century engines, but what do i know.

·
Registered
137 Posts
1 quart per 1K miles is spec for manufacturers that don't want to warrant cars that are burning oil for unknown reason. Some brands and a small percentage of cars will do this but my opinion is the car has some marginal problem causing this. Most of them Don't burn that much oil. Modern low mileage engines shouldn't normally be burning that much oil.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My X5 5.0i had both turbo's replaced last year, under warranty. (9k and some change). V-8 440 horse, all wheel drive beast of a machine! It now burns almost exactly that much oil, 1QT per every 1,000-1,500 miles like clockwork. No leaks anywhere. It just really likes oil ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts