Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 3,200 miles the engine light just came on. I think I found a loose gas cap, but after 30 miles the light has not reset??

How long should it take to for the light to reset? I know it had to cycle on my benz and took a day or two. Is this the same with our cars?

Does everyone change their oil at 3,000 miles? I was planning on just following the service schedule from the dealer. The first two oil changes beginning at 6,000 then 12,000 miles?

I am also having trouble with a stereo upgrade. However, the dealer in central NJ just gave me a reference.

Are there any events in Jersey or Philly where we can meet up with our cars?

Thanks for all your comments.

Christopher

·
Registered
835 Posts
My check engine light came on at around 3700 and it was due to a bad purge valve gasket. I would would suggest taking it to the dealership.

I had my oil change done just recently at 3800... i believe it is good for the car to have the oil change done every 3500 miles.

Just finished putting in a brand new set of MB Quartz an hour ago this afternoon myself. It sounds pretty good :) "lost a screw though". If you are a brave one doing it yourself is a lot more fun.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
If the factory says 12K between changes, there really isn't a valid reason for more frequent changes unless you're driving in really extreme conditions. The "3K" theory was fine in 1975, with non-synth lubricants. Also, tolerances are much different now.

If you're really psycho about it, maybe every 6K with a full synthetic, unless you put on really low miles, in which case I'd do once a year.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Very well true. Whether the 3K oil change a myth or something factual I will leave it up to the scientists to decide. What I know for a fact is this, the lubrication system exists so every moving part of the engine can move easily and rotate freely, ie. piston, crankshaft, camshafts, and ...blah blah... when all of the components of the engine move they will create friction and cause engine wear. At what point do synthetic lubricants begin to break down is beyond me but I am sure it is well before 12K. I believe those recommended measurement are always base on the "maximum tolerable" wear. At $7-10 a quart, I rather do it more frequently since the wear on engine can be reduced to the minimum. It really depends on your end game, if you don't intend to keep the car forever or if it is a lease, why bother taking good care of it!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talked to the Maserati Service Tech

He said its very common for the check engine light to come on and could result from a loose gas cap or excess air somewhere in the system. He told me my car was safe to drive and see if the system resets after a few days. If not, they will look at it and fix the problem.

As far as oil changes he said every 6,000 miles and you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I will let everyone know what they find out if the light does not reset. I have only driven it 60 miles since the light came on. Apparently, it has to cycle off.

CM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts