Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got the dreaded check engine light. I've just ordered an OBD reader, but decided to throw out a question to the forum. My idle speed when the engine is warm, in N or P, is 1300 rpm. If I restart the engine after 15 min, rpm is 900 (normal). But once I drive, the idle in N is back to 1300 rpm. In D (brakes on) the idle is 900 but the car is "pulling" against the brakes more than usual. Could the check engine light be associated with the high idle?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Today I got the dreaded check engine light. I've just ordered an OBD reader, but decided to throw out a question to the forum. My idle speed when the engine is warm, in N or P, is 1300 rpm. If I restart the engine after 15 min, rpm is 900 (normal). But once I drive, the idle in N is back to 1300 rpm. In D (brakes on) the idle is 900 but the car is "pulling" against the brakes more than usual. Could the check engine light be associated with the high idle?
My normal idle is 700rpm. It does go up higher rpm during cold start. I had weak freon gas previously and the ECU tends to work the compressor more, and that increases it to 850rpm, but that does not throw any code. It solved by replacing the aircon freon R134A.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some progress, found the oil cap loose, once tightened the idle speed corrected itself, but the engine light is still on. Waiting for my code reader .......

5,562 Posts
A loose oil cap makes a vacuum leak in the system and will set a check engine light..You'll probably have a P0171 and P0174....J

Reactions: Jdubbya

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Disconnected the battery to reset CEL. Everything is fine now, so a lesson for all, make sure the oil cap is on tightly and seals well.

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Thank you for the follow-up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my OBD reader yesterday , set it up and read the codes. Jason was on the money, P0171, P0174. Cleared the codes and now equipped for when the engine light comes on again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts