Maserati Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
822 Posts
....the entire forum just went quiet while we wait for that answer.....
Failed lifter, see original post. While it may have only damaged the head and one cam, many manufacturers won't have the dealerships open an engine or transmission. Notice with this one they even had to send it back to NJ for a manifold swap.

Re: MNA, I have to agree, I've never dealt with a company that has such a lethargic customer support ethic despite the best efforts of their dealers. To be honest I'm surprised they covered the rental car beyond 5 days, which is their policy.

However, I will say that an engine failure like this is unusual, I was talking to my service manager the other week and he was commenting how trouble free these engines have been.

BMW has been a completely different experience for me, as a customer. Issues dealt with promptly, no attempt to pass the issues off as not covered, and all I've had to buy are tires and fuel.

What year is your vehicle?

· Registered
822 Posts
I've been a mechanic for 25 years... Seems strange to need to replace a motor for a bad lifter. Plus, aren't this motors dual overhead cam, so should be a lifter per se. Perhaps just a tappet (haven't researched the 4.2 geometry in detail yet.
It would be a "follower" (not a lifter) as I am pretty sure the valves are actuated directly from the cams.

But regardless, I've seen a lot of manufacturers do this now.
For example, Subaru won't let dealership techs crack the case of their 6MT.

· Registered
822 Posts
I think you'll see Ferrari owners with similar stories about how they were treated, I think the grass just looks greener. The truth is, both brands are fantastic products but made with very low volumes and I've always felt like I was part of debugging the product. I'd be ok with that if there was lots of love from the manufacturer, but there is very little. From the people I've met overseas, I'm not sure this is something that every Maserati or Ferrari owner feels, I think it is much more about the management in New Jersey. I only have a limited number of interactions to back that up, but hey, it is my opinion.

I'm lucky because I have a great dealer, and in particular the service dept has kept at every single issue I've had and treated me very respectfully, which is all I ask.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.