Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow classic Maserati enthusiasts !

A few years ago my engine ECU just snapped right after MOT and after diagnosis... well, R.I.P. it was dead.

No parts available or maybe second hand ones that would probably just snap one not to distant day as well.

I didn't like the idea of throwing money at a used part that I perceived as a ticking bomb.



Long story short, please have a look at the two attachments to see what was done to solve the problem long term.



3 cars have already benefited from the upgrade and for myself, it provides great peace of mind, 300hp to the wheels, cleaner emissions & less fuel consumption.



Thanks for your time !



David
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
This is very interesting, do they have a demonstrator?

I would be interested but would need to spend a bit of time in a modified car to test performance and driveability.

With ecu transplants I consider the hardware to be 40% of the job. The remaining 60% is mapping for all conditions and driveability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

Driveability is better and engine runs smoother; that much is clear. Low end spooling is faster and more linear. The best word I have is that it "sublimes" engine characteristics, car feels less old in a certain sense.... not that easy to describe.

Yes we have a demonstrator, my Ghibli GT 2.8 in Belgium. We might be able to also arrange a test drive of a 2.0 in Germany.

I agree with your percentages. Fortunately, Tom van Dyck travels Europe mapping cars so his reputation precedes him. He's more of a mapper anyway with fully equipped garage to do this. He actually considers it a bit of an art ( hence the name ) >> https://www.customimportarts.com

Thanks for your interest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Interesting - wonder if it could be modified to work on my uprated 222 4V - basically a 2.8 Ghibli engine but with distributor not coil packs. Has two ecu's - ignition/fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Interesting - wonder if it could be modified to work on my uprated 222 4V - basically a 2.8 Ghibli engine but with distributor not coil packs. Has two ecu's - ignition/fuel.
Hi 94 Massa :)

The 222 4v. has the 2,8 liter equivalent of the 1988 2.24v., Racing and 4.24v. The 1993 also had these engines with distributor, but with different air filter boxes. The 1994 and newer with static ignition is not the same block (although not far away) but another inlet manifold and of course 6 coils. These newer engines also have two knock sensors, two crank sensors and instead of one ignition ECU and one Fuel ECU, they have two ignition AND fuel ECUs, so also a different wiring loom. They run somewhat more smooth and does not have the high idle cat pre-heat cycle. They just run perfect always. I have had both..

If the engine suddenly stalls under acceleration it can be too big gap on the crank sensor on a fuel injected car or on a carb car possibly either engine knock (or sensor problem) or even boost pressure sensor problem. Or rotor/distributor cap problem.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top