Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is a load of bull but thought I would share it with you anyway.

My engine check light came on about a week ago (5 days into ownership!).

Did all the searches on here re clearing it (ignition on / off 5 times, check filler cap etc) but that didn't work. Bought an ODB II code reader to diagnose and delete but just kept getting 'link error' message so that didn't work (as an aside, is the 03 coupe OBD II compatiable or just ODB I ???).

Took it into my local main dealer who plugged it in and found a cat sensor code which he deleted.

Mechanic said that the sensor can be triggered by running the car low on fuel as it then burns hot. Do it often and you will blow the sensor completely. Having a tubi exhaust (which i have) can make this even more likely than with the standard exhaust. As it happens the light did come on when I was low on fuel - either just before or just after the fuel light came on - so maybe he is right.

Anyway, anyone else had problems when running low on fuel? Is it best to fill up before the tank is less than a quarter full?

And any ideas why my code reader wouldn't work? It's a Geniscan GS300.

Cheers,

Keith

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Your car will work with an OBDII reader. Did you have the key in the "partially on" position? You need to, in my experience. I would definitely make a trip to the dealer at some point before you trash what could be an expensive sensor (or at least get the peace of mind that you're OK). I have an Actron unit that works fine.

For intermittent misfires or very small EVAP system leak codes, I feel safe resetting myself. Anything else, it is worth letting the dealer take a look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick - the dealer sorted it when I took it in for the code check. The sensor was ok so he deleted the error code.

Think I will send the Geniscan scanner back and try the Actron one! :)

Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts