Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this problem? I have a 2003 CC with skyhook, and my warning light just came on and won't turn off, even with disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. The indicator is a red car symbol with a down arrow below the car and an up arrow inside the car. My car has just under 37K miles.
I just had my car repaired after some collision damage and also replaced the springs with the Formula Dynamics springs, so I am not sure if one or the other of those events are contributory.
Also, any idea if it is damaging to the car to keep driving it with this condition? The ride seems ok, but a bit less dampened when going over bumps in the road, otherwise no apparent problems when I drive it.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had the same problem in'05 CC Spyder.
It turned out to be a bad sensor in skyhook system.
Have dealer put car on OBD computer to find exact fault.
No problem if you continue to drive with warning light on.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Seems to be no problem for normal driving. FMSF said "don't track it til we can swap out the shocks". Now awaiting delivery of two new front shocks apparently coming on a slow boat from Italy. :cool:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I guess I'll contact the dealer on Monday and see what happens next. Nice to know it is at least still driveable. Hope the boats get faster, since I have a track day scheduled in June. When the collision work was done it took three months, and over a month of that was waiting for parts from Italy.
Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess I'll contact the dealer on Monday and see what happens next. Nice to know it is at least still driveable. Hope the boats get faster, since I have a track day scheduled in June. When the collision work was done it took three months, and over a month of that was waiting for parts from Italy.
Mike
Don't replace shocks so fast. May only be a sensor.
Be sure dealer is not trying to pad bill by replacing shocks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, there might be some discussion, but the car is in warranty. I know shocks are considered wear items, but we'll see what happens. The dealer, FMOSF, has been awesome so far, and always gone the extra distance, so I am comfortable with them, and especially the service manager, Kevin.
Mike

·
Registered
530 Posts
Don't replace shocks so fast. May only be a sensor.
Be sure dealer is not trying to pad bill by replacing shocks.
According to Ted @ FMSF, we don't have that option. With the 4200, the sensor is built into the shock and not separately replaceable. When it goes, you have to replace the shock.

If someone knows different let me know ASAP. :D

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hi, Mike. I suppose the $5,000 question is whether or not the change of springs and/or potential damage to the shocks by the installer will come into play in terms of warranty coverage...

I'm holding off on any mods until my warranty expires in a few weeks, then I plan to start a few - springs, audio, brake pads are the top priorities.

·
Registered
74 Posts
According to Ted @ FMSF, we don't have that option. With the 4200, the sensor is built into the shock and not separately replaceable. When it goes, you have to replace the shock.

I had the sensor changed on my '05 CC Spyder after only 1 mo. post delivery,
brand new. Did not have to replace shocks. Problem never returned. That's the truth as I experienced it. I'm not a serv. tech.
Sometimes a dealer can do work to "soak" Ferrari and not client, especially when car is in warranty.
I do not wish to cast doubt on anyone's integrity.
Just my $.03 ( east coast inflation)

·
Registered
339 Posts
what about aftermarket?

Seems to be no problem for normal driving. FMSF said "don't track it til we can swap out the shocks". Now awaiting delivery of two new front shocks apparently coming on a slow boat from Italy. :cool:
just in case this isn't being paid via warranty and you are being raped, umm I mean paying out of pocket.

JRZ has a drop in coilover system already designed for our cars. You can pick from a multitude of springs to get the characteristics you want and the shocks are remote adjustable. Total system for all corners (shocks & springs) is around $3500. I can send you the info of the shop that is the US importer/tech support for JRZ. These are the same design that were used by the teams racing the Trofeo light cars (also what my race team uses in our GT3 in the Grand Am Rolex series). If I was keeping my car, I'd def. put them in to replace the skyhook.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, according to Kevin, the service manager at FMOSF, the problem is most likely a sensor and takes about 40 minutes to replace. He implied it was a simple, straightforward, have it done while you wait process. If so, I may just take it to FMOSV, and have a nice lunch at their bistro and look at Art's collection of cars while I wait.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Mike

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well, according to Kevin, the service manager at FMOSF, the problem is most likely a sensor and takes about 40 minutes to replace. He implied it was a simple, straightforward, have it done while you wait process. If so, I may just take it to FMOSV, and have a nice lunch at their bistro and look at Art's collection of cars while I wait.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Mike
Now I'm starting to get a bit pissed. Kevin had already left for the day when I first called about this problem so I talked to Ted, a new guy.

He told me it was "a 5 minute or 5 day problem" 5 Minute being a faulty reading and 5 day being a shock replacement.

On inspection, turned out to be the 5 day variety, the sensor in the shock was bad, and as stated before the whole shock needed replacing. N ot just the one shock but both fronts, because "you don't want an old shock paired with a new one".

They're quoting about $3 k for the whole job.

I'm thinkning I'll be talking to Kevin tomorrow :mad:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, to do full disclosure, no one has actually looked at my car yet, so I don't know if there are levels of failure, from a simple sensor somewhere, to shock replacement, to other stuff. I could be looking at the same level of problem as you, I honestly don't know.
I do know that Kevin, and the folks in service at FMOSF, have always bent over backwards to support me. I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Be sure to call first thing in the am, since Kevin mentioned he is out for the rest of the week. He may not even be coming in to work tomorrow, I am not sure.
Mike

Now I'm starting to get a bit pissed. Kevin had already left for the day when I first called about this problem so I talked to Ted, a new guy.

He told me it was "a 5 minute or 5 day problem" 5 Minute being a faulty reading and 5 day being a shock replacement.

On inspection, turned out to be the 5 day variety, the sensor in the shock was bad, and as stated before the whole shock needed replacing. N ot just the one shock but both fronts, because "you don't want an old shock paired with a new one".

They're quoting about $3 k for the whole job.

I'm thinkning I'll be talking to Kevin tomorrow :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts