Maserati Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts
6,682 Posts
There is a way to check all this without trusting the alternator light...It just kinda shows you something is up in the charging system...That consist of the battery and the alternator...You load test the battery and the alternator with the proper tools and check their output...It is the correct way of doing it...Jason

6,682 Posts
I doubt it’s an alternator. More like a bad battery. I’ve had a shit mess with mine. Bought a brand new Maserati one, dealer installed. Worked well for about 4 weeks then it was dead one day. The dealer did the voltage drain test over several days to see if anything weird was draining the battery. The battery and voltage drain passed. They then asked if I could leave it over the weekend and I complied. Monday morning the battery was dead and the computer finally recognized such so it could be warrantied.

That was over 9 months ago. Most the time the car is fine but every once in awhile the battery will be drained overnight. Here’s some things I’ve learned:

if the battery isn’t 100% up to snuff a relay will kick it off causing the car not to turn over

if the battery was below (I think it is 13.6 volts), the car may start but the dash will light up like a Christmas tree

always lock the car as it cuts down on drainage.

mic you go to unlock the car with the remote and it acts like there is low voltage, open the trunk with the key, attach a jumper pack, and then start the car. No codes will throw

In the event codes do throw, take off the positive and negative terminals from the battery and use a long screwdriver to connect them together for a few minutes, and then reattach them. (There is a 10mm bolt on the backside of the positive bussbar that takes the entire bussbar off the positive side). This will drain the capacitors and reset all the lights thrown by code.

The quattroportte requires 13.6v (I think this is correct), to start. Short trips, and normal fluctuations in the voltage due to (as an example) the A/C, radio, wipers and other accessories running at the same time, combined with many short stop and starts, can make a good battery and charge system seem bad on these designs.
I really don't know about any of that you are posting....There is no relay, the car literally draws less electricity unlocked because the alarm system is not active...sorry..Jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
I may be wrong about the nomenclature, but I’m not wrong about what I’ve experienced. Whatever anyone wants to take away, just know that if the battery draws down, hook up a jump battery. If it throws codes, use a long screwdriver to the positive and negative to drain the capacitors. I know this is fact. I own a GS Sport, I know how the dealers work, and I know the quirks of the car. And by the way, I’ve stumped the Maserati mechanics because few know the facts. The simply believe the narrative.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I may be wrong about the nomenclature, but I’m not wrong about what I’ve experienced. Whatever anyone wants to take away, just know that if the battery draws down, hook up a jump battery. If it throws codes, use a long screwdriver to the positive and negative to drain the capacitors. I know this is fact. I own a GS Sport, I know how the dealers work, and I know the quirks of the car. And by the way, I’ve stumped the Maserati mechanics because few know the facts. The simply believe the narrative.
And locking the car puts all the Componets into sleep. This is fact.

6,682 Posts
I can't argue your experience obviously...I'm pretty sure the techs. know about touching the battery terminals together so you are not breaking new ground there...So if you don't lock the car then it drains the battery down? I imagine the engineers figured that possibly a person would leave a 100K$ vehicle unlocked in their garage and not make it drain the battery... J

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't argue your experience obviously...I'm pretty sure the techs. know about touching the battery terminals together so you are not breaking new ground there...So if you don't lock the car then it drains the battery down? I imagine the engineers figured that possibly a person would leave a 100K$ vehicle unlocked in their garage and not make it drain the battery... J
You’re “pretty sure”? “F” you’re pretty sure. I replied to this thread for all the owners, not the techs or the “engineers” who you assume made a correct judgement call. The fact is these cars are highly sophisticated. The engineers designed the car to be locked and put into sleep mode when not in use. Just like they included paddle shifters to shift the the ZF transmission manually instead of using the auto functions of one wants to extend the transmission life. Please do is all a favor and quote facts and experiences and not how you feel.

6,682 Posts
Hey pal..I guess you don't under stand sarcasm...The modules will go to sleep even if the car is unlocked...The car being locked increases your current draw as you must power the LEDS that flash as well as the power the other modules for the alarm system...I'm not gonna really argue with you a I do this everyday and fix battery drains on cars...I'm pretty sure you do not as a fully charged battery is 12.6 volts BTW..not 13.6....Jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey pal..I guess you don't under stand sarcasm...The modules will go to sleep even if the car is unlocked...The car being locked increases your current draw as you must power the LEDS that flash as well as the power the other modules for the alarm system...I'm not gonna really argue with you a I do this everyday and fix battery drains on cars...I'm pretty sure you do not as a fully charged battery is 12.6 volts BTW..not 13.6....Jason
Well maybe you ought to argue with all the other Maserati techs if you know so much. I stated that I was quoting off the cuff for the battery voltage. And btw, LEDs draw next to nothing. The point is that these cars draw voltage and no one seems to know where, why, or how the power demons show up and when or why. Like I said, carry a jump pack, power the car up when needed, and short the battery terminals when needed to drain the capacitors before one takes it to a tech to pay hundreds for nothing. I’m betting (from what I’ve seen) that most the techs don’t know shit like they claim they do.

6,682 Posts
They draw current..Not voltage..Google it...Yeah, we are just all waiting around for keyboard bangers to help us fix the cars..We would have never thought of disconnecting a battery or touching the terminals together..Pure F-ing genius... :rolleyes: Your original post comes across as it is fact with a lot of stuff incorrect..That is just your experience so I would have probably presented it like that...Not like,let me tell you guys the facts..We try to keep it accurate.....Unfortunately , folks believe everything they read on the internet and I have no doubt I'll get a DM about a magic relay that causes a battery drain on these cars and where to locate it...Jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
The fact is that Maserati techs don’t seem to agree. A long time Maserati tech is the one that told me to lock the doors as it won’t drain as bad. He’s also the one who told me about touching the wires together. Being one of your stupid customers as you seem I am, I thought it was genius because I didn’t know about it and thought I’d share for those that take their Maserati’s in for a reset. I don’t know if it works for all but it works for me, and saves me an hour labor. Anyway, I’m not on here for the techs, I’m on here for the owners like me who want a second opinion. I’m grateful for this forum and if it wasn’t for this forum, I’d have scrapped my Maserati and went to side with the list of unhappy customers. Most of which became such from misinformation or lack of.
Just like someone posting to drive the car in manual. Heck I never thought to drive the car in manual. No one told me it would buck and snort (sorry for my lack of tech words) in the auto modes. Glad I found it here because now I only use the paddles. Problem solved. I totally expect another “Genius” and eye roll from you. Again, I’m just a stupid customer to you.

And by the way, call me a keyboard mechanic but I’m the one that saved my car with a keyboard. Maserati and another shop told me the head gasket was blown and quoted me 40 hours to repair. Then they suggested a motor swap and to replace the clutch. Didn’t make sense on a car with 42,000 miles on it. After a lot of research I was able to bet on the oil heat exchanger as the problem because it had anti freeze on the oil and oil in the antifreeze.. It ended up costing me $400.00 and my son and I fixed it ourselves. Not a one from Maserati even thought of it.

·
Registered
Quattroporte Sport GTS 2012
65 Posts
The fact is that Maserati techs don’t seem to agree. A long time Maserati tech is the one that told me to lock the doors as it won’t drain as bad. He’s also the one who told me about touching the wires together. Being one of your stupid customers as you seem I am, I thought it was genius because I didn’t know about it and thought I’d share for those that take their Maserati’s in for a reset. I don’t know if it works for all but it works for me, and saves me an hour labor. Anyway, I’m not on here for the techs, I’m on here for the owners like me who want a second opinion. I’m grateful for this forum and if it wasn’t for this forum, I’d have scrapped my Maserati and went to side with the list of unhappy customers. Most of which became such from misinformation or lack of.
Just like someone posting to drive the car in manual. Heck I never thought to drive the car in manual. No one told me it would buck and snort (sorry for my lack of tech words) in the auto modes. Glad I found it here because now I only use the paddles. Problem solved. I totally expect another “Genius” and eye roll from you. Again, I’m just a stupid customer to you.

And by the way, call me a keyboard mechanic but I’m the one that saved my car with a keyboard. Maserati and another shop told me the head gasket was blown and quoted me 40 hours to repair. Then they suggested a motor swap and to replace the clutch. Didn’t make sense on a car with 42,000 miles on it. After a lot of research I was able to bet on the oil heat exchanger as the problem because it had anti freeze on the oil and oil in the antifreeze.. It ended up costing me $400.00 and my son and I fixed it ourselves. Not a one from Maserati even thought of it.
You’re picking the wrong fight mate. You joined a couple weeks ago, you obviously don’t know about the great contributions by members you dismiss out of hand. Some respect please, we don’t need this here. You sound a bit like a know-all to me - which is fine, but not if that means you’re not prepared to listen as well.

6,682 Posts
A healthy internet debate is good for the soul so I don't sweat stuff like that...Folks should recognize if I see something I don't agree with then I will probably say something...I expect the same back in return..It's just a car forum so it's no biggie in my mind...Jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same here Jason. And I love this! Debate is what made this country great in my opinion. We all come from different experiences and I thank you for sharing your viewpoints. It makes us all better! So thank you for putting up with mine! I’m sorry if I offended anyone as I really appreciate this forum more than anyone can know! Peace!

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well I know Maserati Mark doesn't think I should change my alternator but the data tells me otherwise. :cool: And just for the record, I already replaced the battery just because the old one was maybe due just for age. And it didn't solve my problem, even after putting it on the charger for a couple days.

I've started tearing into it but haven't gotten too far. Speaking of Italian enginerds...I wonder why they would decide to use three different screws to hold down one piece of plastic? The top cover of the wiper cowl has a phillips head, a torx, and an allen. Huh?!

The torx was the one that threw me because it's the one down in the hole on the passenger side, which by the way collects water and rusts/gunks up, and it's nigh on impossible to get your head back there to see. At least with the hood still on and I have no plans of taking the hood off too in order to get this job done. :)

But that's off and I'm working my way down. Belts and gaskets arrived yesterday so I need to kick my butt in gear and get this done.

No idea what the intake looks like but would it be worth it to clean it out while it's off?

6,682 Posts
Do not take the hood off...You only take the hood off cars when you absolutely have to do it...Easy to damage and not easy to get aligned correctly even if you mark it...You need paper towels etc. in the intake ports and need to check twice for debris on reassembly...The intake manifold will probably have a little oil in it...Just wipe it out and you'll be fine... J

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I know Maserati Mark doesn't think I should change my alternator but the data tells me otherwise. :cool: And just for the record, I already replaced the battery just because the old one was maybe due just for age. And it didn't solve my problem, even after putting it on the charger for a couple days.

I've started tearing into it but haven't gotten too far. Speaking of Italian enginerds...I wonder why they would decide to use three different screws to hold down one piece of plastic? The top cover of the wiper cowl has a phillips head, a torx, and an allen. Huh?!

The torx was the one that threw me because it's the one down in the hole on the passenger side, which by the way collects water and rusts/gunks up, and it's nigh on impossible to get your head back there to see. At least with the hood still on and I have no plans of taking the hood off too in order to get this job done. :)

But that's off and I'm working my way down. Belts and gaskets arrived yesterday so I need to kick my butt in gear and get this done.

No idea what the intake looks like but would it be worth it to clean it out while it's off?
Do not take the hood off...You only take the hood off cars when you absolutely have to do it...Easy to damage and not easy to get aligned correctly even if you mark it...You need paper towels etc. in the intake ports and need to check twice for debris on reassembly...The intake manifold will probably have a little oil in it...Just wipe it out and you'll be fine... J

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oh I'm not taking the hood off no way!!

I'm gonna vacuum and blow everything off before I get ready to pull the intake. And yup I'll protect the holes and make sure nothing gets in there before putting it back on.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts