Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '09 GT-S with the F1 trans I drove it a couple weeks ago and it did fine but the battery light came on intermittently while cruising at highway speed. This happened a while back and then went away for a long time. This time it stayed on longer. I had my phone with me so turned on the Autel app and it seemed to be charging ok at about 13.6volts but would sometimes dip down below 13.

I've suspected the alternator has been an issue and the previous owner had actually bought a new one but never put it in since it's a bit of a job I'm guessing. So I ordered new belts, intake gaskets and some other odds and ends to tackle that job and other "while I'm in there" things. Still waiting on the parts to show up.

But, after only sitting for a few days I went to drive it and see if I could spot when the voltage dropped. But the car wouldn't start. Then I noticed the F1 pump didn't come on to prime when I opened the door. Threw the trickle charger on thinking the battery might be a bit flat. No love. :( The dash and everything lights up but the car was already in neutral (usually puts itself into 1st when parking) and turning the key to start does nothing, no clicks nothing.

Checked the battery with a tester and it didn't seem to be 100% and was somewhere over three years old so got a new battery. Nope, that didn't help one bit.

My next thought was a blown fuse or bad relay. Started looking through the book. It doesn't even show the F1 relay in the diagram?! There is only one fuse that I could find that seems to have anything to do with the F1 system, #54 in the trunk panel. It's fine. The relay off to the left of the trunk fuse panel must be the F1 pump relay though.

When I open the door I do hear the relay click like it's trying to fire up the pump so not sure it's the problem.

I'm going to hook up the Autel again and see if there are any codes but thought I'd post to see if anyone has idea.

6,709 Posts
I suspect your alternator finally died...That fact the battery light came on and the voltage went below 13v was your first clue...I have seen alternators that are shorted and draw so much juice from the short that the cars won't start...Forget the F1 stuff at the moment and work on the charging issue as that is most likely your problem...J

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect your alternator finally died...That fact the battery light came on and the voltage went below 13v was your first clue...I have seen alternators that are shorted and draw so much juice from the short that the cars won't start...Forget the F1 stuff at the moment and work on the charging issue as that is most likely your problem...J
Thanks Jason! I'm headed that direction anyway so will wait till I get the alternator done and hope that solves it all. I really wish they hadn't put it UNDER the intake though. :) Shouldn't be too bad I guess.

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, this is a brand new in the Maserati box one. The previous owner bought it and never installed it.

As for rebuilt ones I used to have a shop near me that rebuilt all things automotive electrical...starters ...alternators...and whatever else. Couple of old dudes in a little shop. I would have trusted them to do it but they are long gone sadly.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
551 Posts
+ Jason - I will take that advice to the bank!
Sorry to hear Jd, I think mine may be going out soon too. I notice when I'm in Sport+Manual mode, at 3,000 RPM's the battery light starts to flicker. Not every time though...But I do see it out of the corner of my eye occasionally. 3 month old battery, daily driver. Other than that, no issues... :unsure:

Reactions: Jdubbya

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's odd about mine is it did it once in a while when I first bought the car a year and half or so ago. And it seemed to do it only after cruising on the freeway for about 10 miles.....sometimes It seemed to do it at roughly the same spot when I was headed on the freeway to my Dad's house.

Then it stopped doing it altogether for a long time. Until it did it again and started staying on longer.

Gonna start tearing into it probably tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
551 Posts
Arg..yeah...mine seems to do it after I've been driving over an hours or so...but very random. The only consistent thing is it flickering precisely starting at 3,000 RPM. Weird...we'll have to check with a meter to really see what's going on...good luck to you Sir!

Reactions: Jdubbya

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jason, do you have a source for new OEM alternators? I need one for my 2017 Ghibli
The PO of my car bought it at Scuderia Parts. I've heard other folks say the dealers can sometimes be competitive on prices.

Maybe #11 here....

·
Registered
2 Posts
The PO of my car bought it at Scuderia Parts. I've heard other folks say the dealers can sometimes be competitive on prices.

Maybe #11 here....
I tried them... they don't have it and can't even get one from the factory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I doubt it’s an alternator. More like a bad battery. I’ve had a shit mess with mine. Bought a brand new Maserati one, dealer installed. Worked well for about 4 weeks then it was dead one day. The dealer did the voltage drain test over several days to see if anything weird was draining the battery. The battery and voltage drain passed. They then asked if I could leave it over the weekend and I complied. Monday morning the battery was dead and the computer finally recognized such so it could be warrantied.

That was over 9 months ago. Most the time the car is fine but every once in awhile the battery will be drained overnight. Here’s some things I’ve learned:

if the battery isn’t 100% up to snuff a relay will kick it off causing the car not to turn over

if the battery was below (I think it is 13.6 volts), the car may start but the dash will light up like a Christmas tree

always lock the car as it cuts down on drainage.

mic you go to unlock the car with the remote and it acts like there is low voltage, open the trunk with the key, attach a jumper pack, and then start the car. No codes will throw

In the event codes do throw, take off the positive and negative terminals from the battery and use a long screwdriver to connect them together for a few minutes, and then reattach them. (There is a 10mm bolt on the backside of the positive bussbar that takes the entire bussbar off the positive side). This will drain the capacitors and reset all the lights thrown by code.

The quattroportte requires 13.6v (I think this is correct), to start. Short trips, and normal fluctuations in the voltage due to (as an example) the A/C, radio, wipers and other accessories running at the same time, combined with many short stop and starts, can make a good battery and charge system seem bad on these designs.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts