Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to install the ECU and DBW myself. I'm not into DIY but after all the headaches with the dealer I decided to give it a try.

The installation was actually fun to do, and it was much easier having Jeff on call for questions, and I had quite a few.

My first challenge was finding the ECU, it's hidden way up there on the upper right side of the foot well. Once I found it and pulled it out (2 nuts), it was easy to work on it.

One of the wires in my car had a different color, instead of "solid black" mine was "black w/ blue stripe", so it's very important to use the ECU diagram to make sure you are tapping into the right wire. But to be honest, I wouldn't understand that diagram if Jeff didn't explain it to me. So for newbies like me the diagram should have instructions.

Luckily everything went smooth, the car started right a way without setting off any lights on the dash.

The DBW is definitely a must-have, now I feel more confident taking off across traffic, for example, because as soon as you press the pedal the car goes. No hesitation. And it doesn't shift like an automatic, you still have that F1 feel.

Regarding the ECU, I know some people say that they didn't feel the difference for a while, well, I did. The car is a rocket!

I'm very happy with the mods, and it feel extra special because I installed them.

Thank you Jeff for your patience and 5-star customer service. I wouldn't have done without your help.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Drive by wire install

Congrats. Wish you could have taken some pics. Did you change the chip inside the ECU or was it an add-on part?

Do you still feel the difference in the sport/non sport and auto modes?

Is the ecu on your left side or right side footwell as you sit in the car?

Whats the effect on your gas mileage-I assume its a bit higher.

How much? I am lazy and didnt follow the threads. I just might go the other route and try the performance mod from Sean at roeracing. I bought it which was made as a one off but was too scared to install in case I had some check engine light issues.
thanks.

BTW does the FD springs mess up the skyhook suspension?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about taking pictures, but honestly, it wouldn't make any difference because the installation is very simple.

There are some photos here: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4188&highlight=installation

I believe the gas mileage is going to be worse for a couple of reasons, first because the ECM changes the air/fuel ratio to give more performance, so it must use more gas, and second because now I drive like a mad man!:D

I haven't tried the Normal or Auto mode yet because I never use them.

The ECU is located on the passenger's foot well, on the right side for me and I guess on the left for you in UK.

I haven't installed the springs yet, it's going to be done next week.

How much should the springs installation cost?

There are only 2 things that I haven't finished yet, putting the carpet back on the corner around the door(it's hard) and haven't found a place for the switch yet, it needs longer wires.

By the way, Jeff, is that switch for the ECM or DBW?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey BF, you are back! How many miles have you done today?

Where are the sound clips?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I installed the DBW yesterday in my Gransport.
In the instructions it should be mentioned that the ECU should be removed. It is so easy with two nuts. Than everything works well together. Because I have no plans to put another ECU chip in it I cut the other wires in the DBW kit.
Driving is different, much more fun, much more responsive. However I have as second program the "wife mode" which doesn´t allow the car to rev above 3000 or 3500 rpm. This is defintively no fun to drive, I wouldn´t wand this program again.
For me the DBW was a great improvement and it is fairly easy to install.
I certainly would buy it again, but with the regular programming.

Greetings from Germany,

Guenter

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Hey BF, you are back! How many miles have you done today?

Where are the sound clips?
Hey man, not many at all, been busy with the kids and family :rolleyes:

;)

Going out for a drive on Wednesday night with my buddy with the white GranSport and we'll try to take some videos (unless the cops bust us for being a nuisance :D).

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Congrats. Wish you could have taken some pics. Did you change the chip inside the ECU or was it an add-on part?

Do you still feel the difference in the sport/non sport and auto modes?

Is the ecu on your left side or right side footwell as you sit in the car?

Whats the effect on your gas mileage-I assume its a bit higher.

How much? I am lazy and didnt follow the threads. I just might go the other route and try the performance mod from Sean at roeracing. I bought it which was made as a one off but was too scared to install in case I had some check engine light issues.
thanks.

BTW does the FD springs mess up the skyhook suspension?
The FD ECM is an add-on.

Fuel consumption should be similar to before, the ECM makes changes at Wide open throttle or nearly wide open throttle only. Otherwise, yes you would be burning through more fuel all of the time.

You will still feel a difference regardless of sport or auto modes.

The ECM installs in the passenger side footwell.

The FD springs do not cause problems with the factory skyhook suspension. They were developed within the specification provided by the manufacturer and actually work very well together.

Check out the site at: http://www.formuladynamics.com and email if you have any further questions.

Guenter, glad your installation went well. Of course, the wife mode is not supposed to be fun! It's really a valet mode. However if you prefer another program, you can send me back the DBW and I'll change the programming for you. Just let me know.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff, I haven't notice any difference switching from one mode to another.

By the way, is that switch for the DBW or ECM?

I've PM you the same question.

Also, where is most people installing that switch? How can I move it to the driver's side?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Location of ECU switch

The toggle switch takes you between the 2 programs of the ECU-definitely will notice a difference between the 2 settings when you drive. I had the local dealer install mine and they put the toggle switch in the glove compartment-clean install, very discreet, and easy to access. I find you don't switch it too often so doesn't need to be ready accessible on the driver's side-also, glovecompartment is a much easier location from the passanger side footwell-hope that helps-enjoy!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks. Maybe a good idea to put a flush fitting RACE button on the centre consul instead of a toggle switch.

It would be great if someone did a pic/write up with the FD springs. I do find the factory set up a little soft even with the sports mode.

conrats once again to Niteroi.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The toggle switch takes you between the 2 programs of the ECU-definitely will notice a difference between the 2 settings when you drive. I had the local dealer install mine and they put the toggle switch in the glove compartment-clean install, very discreet, and easy to access. I find you don't switch it too often so doesn't need to be ready accessible on the driver's side-also, glovecompartment is a much easier location from the passanger side footwell-hope that helps-enjoy!
Funny thing, I was looking at the driver's foot well trying to find a good spot for the switch and... voila', there's already a switch installed there! Just like the one FD provides. When I was installing the DBW I saw a velcro already attached to the top of that green box. So I believe the previous owner had some kind of chip installed but took it off before selling the car to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts