Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're back with another Brake Pad Giveaway, we will be giving one set of pads (front or rear) to one randomly selected forum member from our entire range, just by participating in the below thread!

In past giveaways We have discussed our first cars, garage and storage spaces, famous people we have met or would like to have met and weird and wonderful vehicles amongst other topics.

For this giveaway we would like to start a discussion for all new drivers; what top tip would you give to your younger self when learning to drive? Either as a complete beginner on the streets or for your first time hitting the track, what valuable lesson do you wish you knew that you can bless a younger generation with?

The lucky winner will be randomly selected and announced within a few days after the closing date of 1st April 2022 and details will be posted on this forum within a few days of the closing date.

Please be aware that this thread may appear in more than one section on the forum and one winner will be selected from the whole forum, not a winner per thread.
Pad choice will be based on availability and where a chosen pad is unavailable, an alternative will be offered.

If you are not the lucky winner, EBC Brakes are pleased to be able to offer a 10% discount off their braking products to all members of the forum community using code FORUM10USER
This discount code can be redeemed at EBC Brakes Direct | EBC Brake Pads | EBC Brake Discs or with our USA partners at Perfect Brakes | EBC Brake Pads | EBC Rotors

Any questions or application issues please let us know.

GOOD LUCK………

EBC Brakes’ Range of High-Performance Automotive Braking Products

When it comes to performance aftermarket braking components, there aren’t many names that are embedded as deeply into the scene as EBC Brakes.

EBC Brakes is an independently owned and managed brake manufacturer, employing over 400 people across the UK and US, and produces the world’s largest range of brake pads and discs for virtually anything with wheels.

Supplying some of the best-selling ranges of brake pads and rotors for the majority of cars, EBC Brakes is a solid choice when it comes to improving your stopping power.

· Registered
4,635 Posts
I would stress to a new driver, and this applies today as well as it did in 1980 when I was going for my drivers permit, to eliminate every possible distraction inside your vehicle. Keep your eyes on the road and your head on a swivel, use all three mirrors. Don't let friends, personal devices, pets, or fumbling with the radio distract you from keeping your eyes on the road.
(Me in 1981 with the car I took my driver's test in. My Aunt's 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Beard Violet Art Font Hat
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Tree

· Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
828 Posts
I started steering from the passenger side, then moved on to learning to shift on a "three on the tree" setup...Think it was a Falcon or Galaxy...cant remember. Then it was tractors in the field, and pieced together junk cars on dirt roads, then dirt bikes...
But take your time, and always looking around and using your mirrors as other have said.
Best for me was going slightly faster than everyone else. That way I always knew where everyone else was on the road as I passed them so I could effortlessly make lane changes with minimal glancing for other cars...Most young drivers sit there going the same speed as everyone else, then when they want to make a lane change, the have to make a conscience effort and "pause" and look around at their surroundings to make sure everything is clear...interupting the flow...:whistle:

· Premium Member
828 Posts
Sup Player Timado? Lookin' good!

· Premium Member
828 Posts
I would stress to a new driver, and this applies today as well as it did in 1980 when I was going for my drivers permit, to eliminate every possible distraction inside your vehicle. Keep your eyes on the road and your head on a swivel, use all three mirrors. Don't let friends, personal devices, pets, or fumbling with the radio distract you from keeping your eyes on the road.
(Me in 1981 with the car I took my driver's test in. My Aunt's 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 141749 View attachment 141750
Sup Player Timado? Lookin' good!

Reactions: Welsh Rob

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey new drivers. Here is some wise advice for you to remember. Accidents happen but a much higher percentage of accidents happen while backing up. My message to you all is that you should only back up SLOWLY and the MINIMAL distance as absolutely necessary in addition to using all your mirrors. Be aware of your surroundings! Happy motoring :)

· Registered
4,635 Posts
Hey new drivers. Here is some wise advice for you to remember. Accidents happen but a much higher percentage of accidents happen while backing up. My message to you all is that you should only back up SLOWLY and the MINIMAL distance as absolutely necessary in addition to using all your mirrors. Be aware of your surroundings! Happy motoring :)
Great point about backing up. It drives me crazy when I see a person backing out, for half the length of a football field when all they needed was about 10 feet. :cautious:

· Registered
Maserati Granturismo
93 Posts
The importance of tyre pressures. It is very easy to ignore such a fundamental component of driving. From keeping stability under braking to allow the cars geometry to work as intended.
I do not think I checked my tyres pressures once for the first few years of driving. Even at my first track day, I had no idea of the concept of pressure management. I recorded 50psi, yes 50, on the front tyres of a civic type r. They were rock hard and hollow when tapped. It came to light when chunks of tyre left a brand new set of tyres, it was a brand new car and a fellow track goer made comment about pressures as I had exceptional understeer.

· Registered
95 Alfa 164 ls, 07 Quattroporte exec. 07 Santa Fe.
456 Posts
My first ever driving experience in my "new" car was on a hill. My brother and I drove to the dealership, I bought the car, an79 Mazda RX7 stick. He drove it back to our dad's house and I learned to drive stick on a hill- best thing ever BUT that's not my tip. Apart from not spending stupid money on chicks, my ACTUAL advice, and, I did suggest this to our sons, is to take the car to an empty lot, during a light snowfall or rainfall (depending on your season) and drive forwards and reverse until the car almost breaks loose. Not to crash the thing but to better understand the car's limitations on wet or snowy roads and to also understand your limitations as a driver. Scared their mom silly but they learned a lot about control and understanding why spinning rubber on wet or snowy roads is unwise.

· Premium Member
828 Posts
Yup...best learning for me was in the dirt! Slipping and sliding away...you learn how to react and control a cars limits!

Reactions: EBC Brakes

· Registered
95 Alfa 164 ls, 07 Quattroporte exec. 07 Santa Fe.
456 Posts
I can proudly say that during my first years as a driver, I never lost control of my RX7, in any kind of weather (and we get some nice storms in the Toronto area), except the one time I had swapped my 2 REAR tires with snow tires and it snowed heavily overnight. My commute up the 400 highway was slow due to the 6-8 inches of choppy snow and ice and the rear end was trying to push the front end (with all seasons) like a plow. At one point I slid on ice and enjoyed the feeling of doing a 540 degree across 2 lanes of the mercifully empty highway and came to rest with my rear quarter kissing the cement wall. No damage done. I have to say that not panicking helped but I knew what the car was going to do and I couldn't have changed it anyway. Love those rear-drive sports cars. So, when my eldest bought his first car, an 86 RX7, I insisted we drive in an empty lot and explore some limits.

· Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
571 Posts
That is easy. Oversteer - is good, understeer is bad. Get a shit box with a manual transmission and a proper hand break and learn how to slide you car in a controlled manner, learn to drive it like you stole it sliding it on dirt roads, snow or ice or even dry pavement, not likely to happen with an econobox but half the fun is in trying anyway.. After that everything is easy. I think that unless you are comfortable with your car sliding and you know how to control it - you will never be a good driver. Today, most drivers are 'operators' NOT actual drivers. They are afraid to push the car, they are afraid to see and explore what the limits of the car can do - going fast in the staring line is not 'exploring the limits' At the rate we are going with 'smart" cars Drivers License will be a thing of the past in the next 20 years. People used to drive cars, now they operate them, soon we they will all be just passengers. Sad really, but it is coming. Not everyone will grow up to be Sébastien Ogier - but fun trying will be endless.

· Registered
10 Posts
We're back with another Brake Pad Giveaway, we will be giving one set of pads (front or rear) to one randomly selected forum member from our entire range, just by participating in the below thread!

In past giveaways We have discussed our first cars, garage and storage spaces, famous people we have met or would like to have met and weird and wonderful vehicles amongst other topics.

For this giveaway we would like to start a discussion for all new drivers; what top tip would you give to your younger self when learning to drive? Either as a complete beginner on the streets or for your first time hitting the track, what valuable lesson do you wish you knew that you can bless a younger generation with?

The lucky winner will be randomly selected and announced within a few days after the closing date of 1st April 2022 and details will be posted on this forum within a few days of the closing date.

Please be aware that this thread may appear in more than one section on the forum and one winner will be selected from the whole forum, not a winner per thread.
Pad choice will be based on availability and where a chosen pad is unavailable, an alternative will be offered.

If you are not the lucky winner, EBC Brakes are pleased to be able to offer a 10% discount off their braking products to all members of the forum community using code FORUM10USER
This discount code can be redeemed at EBC Brakes Direct | EBC Brake Pads | EBC Brake Discs or with our USA partners at Perfect Brakes | EBC Brake Pads | EBC Rotors

Any questions or application issues please let us know.

GOOD LUCK………

EBC Brakes’ Range of High-Performance Automotive Braking Products

When it comes to performance aftermarket braking components, there aren’t many names that are embedded as deeply into the scene as EBC Brakes.

EBC Brakes is an independently owned and managed brake manufacturer, employing over 400 people across the UK and US, and produces the world’s largest range of brake pads and discs for virtually anything with wheels.

Supplying some of the best-selling ranges of brake pads and rotors for the majority of cars, EBC Brakes is a solid choice when it comes to improving your stopping power.

· Registered
10 Posts
This applies perhaps more for the track: It’s vital that you learn to transition from acceleration to decelleration to braking as smoothly as possible! Don’t throw the car around, or shift its weight abruptly. Transition SMOOTHLY! I learned this at several motorcycle track schools...

· Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
571 Posts
This applies perhaps more for the track: It’s vital that you learn to transition from acceleration to decelleration to braking as smoothly as possible! Don’t throw the car around, or shift its weight abruptly. Transition SMOOTHLY! I learned this at several motorcycle track schools...
That certainly is true but, when I watch people drive in winter making left or right hand turns they seem to go out of their way to go 20km/h just so their car does not step out - but when it does they panic and freeze because they are not comfortable or they don't understand how the car will behave. I am not saying go and do a power slide on every roundabout or an exit ramp but if you have never let your car slip or slide you will never be a good driver because that part of your skill will never be developed.

· Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had a lot of responses across all the forums praising their knowledge of motorcycle riding immensely, it seems learning to ride a motorbike helps in a lot of ways

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.