Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Maserati Granturismo 4.2
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever considering buying parts off of Ebay for their Maserati GT? There seems to be some good deals on there, but I'm unsure how the part quality would hold up. Just looking for some feedback as its not so easy to source parts from Lordco/NAPA and other traditional part outlet stores.

Thanks!

Troy

----> link to parts in question

PS- What are the holes in the middle of these rotors on top?? I would guess that would compromise the structural integrity of the rotors causes its not a solid construction as the ones on the bottom.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
285 Posts
I would like to know what they mean by "SUITABLE" because suitable does not sound reassuring. Brakes and tires, is what keeps on your on the ground and out of the trees - spend your money wisely.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In your pic. Top rotors are fronts, bottom rotors are rears. Those look the same as the oem ones with the hat slots and all.

As far as I know there isn't Chinese or cheap aftermarket rotors for the GT or QP5. There are aftermarket or "pattern" (as eurospares calls them) rotors that say 'made in Italy' on them and formula dynamics sells aftermarket rotors but I dont know there source, probably custom made somewhere.
The ones on ebay are probably the same Italy made aftermarket "pattern" ones that eurospares sells.

5,018 Posts
The little hole look like wear indicators...When the hole is gone then the rotor is done...Honestly, most of your brake rotors are made in China...My old boss was a Brembo distributor at one time..I got the 411 on brake stuff and how that industry works...Jason

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In your pic. Top rotors are fronts, bottom rotors are rears. Those look the same as the oem ones with the hat slots and all.

As far as I know there isn't Chinese or cheap aftermarket rotors for the GT or QP5. There are aftermarket or "pattern" (as eurospares calls them) rotors that say 'made in Italy' on them and formula dynamics sells aftermarket rotors but I dont know there source, probably custom made somewhere.
The ones on ebay are probably the same Italy made aftermarket "pattern" ones that eurospares sells.
The top ones with the slits in the middle are called hat slots? Good to know! I was wondering why they cut chunks out of the middle though, it seems to me like it would snap easier.

5,018 Posts
It is not a hat slot..It is a composite rotor....The disc is iron and the rotor hat is aluminum...They connect them together in the manufacturing process...J

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ha ha yeah they're not called "hat slots". I originally said the slots are oem but then I realized they are drilled and slotted rotors so to avoid confusion I edited it to say hat slots but should have said the openings/slots/holes in the hat area is oem. Like Jason said they are like that because they are two piece rotors. The back ones are one piece design.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha ha yeah they're not called "hat slots". I originally said the slots are oem but then I realized they are drilled and slotted rotors so to avoid confusion I edited it to say hat slots but should have said the openings/slots/holes in the hat area is oem. Like Jason said they are like that because they are two piece rotors. The back ones are one piece design.
Ah gotcha, I’ve never seen composite rotors before so it’s an interesting sight to see.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The little hole look like wear indicators...When the hole is gone then the rotor is done...Honestly, most of your brake rotors are made in China...My old boss was a Brembo distributor at one time..I got the 411 on brake stuff and how that industry works...Jason
I know a towel distributor and their EU clients import their Chinese and Korean towels into Germany, hold them for a month, then they can redistribute them as an EU product.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know a towel distributor and their EU clients import their Chinese and Korean towels into Germany, hold them for a month, then they can redistribute them as an EU product.
i’ll probably stick with @FormulaDynamics, I was mainly curious for the sourcing of parts in a general sense from EBay, not restricted to rotors, breaks etc; FD has a limited inventory after all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any other suggestions for suppliers? Or can anyone else chip in for a good vendor.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd probably only go the eBay route on either used or non-essential items... I wouldn't be buying an oil filter from just a random seller, but I wouldn't mind buying a used X Pipe!

I've ordered from Scuderia before, a decent wait for shipping, but a HUGE inventory and good quality.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I ordered from FD and it was up here quickly. Good guys to deal with. Only issue I had was with Canada customs trying to charge me big $$ for whatever it is they don't do. I called them out on it and it cost me almost nothing extra other than GST.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
285 Posts
I ordered from FD and it was up here quickly. Good guys to deal with. Only issue I had was with Canada customs trying to charge me big $$ for whatever it is they don't do. I called them out on it and it cost me almost nothing extra other than GST.
You just got to love the 'government workers' at Canada Customs. They open an envelope to inspect $100 item, charge $5 for GST and $20 flat fee for processing... MF - they learned that from DHL....:devilish:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts