Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my car this afternoon and have not really had a chance to push it hard but these are my first impressions.

The sway bars are absolutely amazing. The car handles like it is on rails (you can change lanes in what seems like a second or so at 60 MPH by simply flicking the wrist a few inches). Confidence in the car's cornering was immediately observed so much so that I was taking corners a lot more aggressively than normal only a few minutes after picking it up - I overcooked the tires a few times so more rubber will definitely be needed with this set up. The ride quality is stiffer but not unreasonably so. I find that the car cannot be driven in town in the sport setting any more (too jarring on rough pavement) but aside from that I found it pretty smooth overall. Body roll is totally eliminated and the car is way more predictable in fast transitions - almost like it was few hundred pounds lighter.

The sway bars, plus the FD springs, is THE hot set up for the street and is a must have for the track - I wish I had it at my track day a few weeks ago. The only downside is that the cowl shake problem endemic to all Spyders is even more noticeable now (hopefully Jeff can come up with something for this) and it squeeks when going over bumps. I think the squeeking is just a minor adjustment (maybe a bit more grease on the bushings is needed).

The DBW set up is great too even though my car is a GT (manual transmission). The responsiveness is a real improvement and the car feels a lot quicker and easier to launch. Very worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'vr got the DBW + ECM + air filter + Tubi already installed but the springs are still sitting in my office waiting to be installed.

So flash, is it a big improvement over the springs or you got both installed at the same time?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I have had the springs for about 6 months now. The anti sway bars are new so I can definately say the difference over the springs alone is huge (I would say it is about the same level of improvement as are the FD springs alone are over the OEM springs).

I also have the ECU and the BMC and while both of these are good, the springs/ bars is a lot more dramatic.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thanks flash. Actually, I'm not sure if I should thank you... after spending over $5k in FD mods now you tell me the sway bars is a must-have... great! Here we go again!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks flash. Actually, I'm not sure if I should thank you... after spending over $5k in FD mods now you tell me the sway bars is a must-have... great! Here we go again!
Gee - what's $5K between friends Niteroi?

Seriously though, I look at it this way: If I had an Aston Martin or a Ferrari, I would be paying 4X the price that FD charges for their parts. The way I see it, after the FD mods, I basically have a car that is as fast as a 360 (based on my admittedly limited track experiece) but costs less than 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The way things are right now I have to confess I feel guilty spending money modding my Maserati...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a very valid point - I was well into to my mod program (the parts were bought and the car was in the shop) when the bottom fell out. I am now afraid to call my broker to even ask where I stand and I know there are a lot more people far worse off than me.

There is an old saying though: "this too shall pass" but I just wonder when.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
The problem for me is that I do 90% of my driving in the city and the roads are not great, so I am afraid that the sway bars would just make an already stiff ride quite unacceptable ...

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
No I have had the springs for about 6 months now. The anti sway bars are new so I can definately say the difference over the springs alone is huge (I would say it is about the same level of improvement as are the FD springs alone are over the OEM springs).

I also have the ECU and the BMC and while both of these are good, the springs/ bars is a lot more dramatic.
What's your view on springs vs. bars if you wanted to do just one ? I've been waiting to do the springs and now wonder if the bars are the right first step. My goal is to reduce body roll and improve cornering without sacrificing too much on street driveability. I'm not tracking this car so that's not an issue.

TIA

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's your view on springs vs. bars if you wanted to do just one ? I've been waiting to do the springs and now wonder if the bars are the right first step. My goal is to reduce body roll and improve cornering without sacrificing too much on street driveability. I'm not tracking this car so that's not an issue.

TIA
I would definately go with the springs Ramp. The bars will stop roll but I don't think they will cut down on braking dive and planing on acceleration as much as the springs do. The springs are also cheaper to install and have the added benefit of allowing the car to be lowered (I dropped mine by 1.5" which also helped handling by lowereing the CoG).

The springs by themselves are an excellent upgrade and don't really hurt the ride quality much. I had the car on the track (just springs without the bars) a few weeks ago and by the end of the day (when my skills improved) I only gave up a bit of ground with the F430's in the curves.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
flash, do you have a GS or Coupe? I'm afraid that lowering 1.5" on my GS might be too low for daily driving.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'd probably be better off if i were married. The GS was a present I gave to myself after a 5-year long divorce that cost me enough to buy a couple of Ferraris.:mad: Not mentioning 3 kids, child support... oh well..

But as they say: "Do you know why divorcing is so expensive? Because it's worth it!" :D

Sway bar, here I go! What's next, Jeff?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
flash, do you have a GS or Coupe? I'm afraid that lowering 1.5" on my GS might be too low for daily driving.
Mine is a Spyder (not the GS version). I don't really think that it should make a big diference though because the GS is only lower by 1/2" (due to an adjustment on the OEM springs). Since the OD on the GS wheels/ tires is the same as the coupe/ spyder, I think that you can probably still get 3/4" - 1" of drop using the FD set up compared to what you see now.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
But how's that ride height for a daily driver?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But how's that ride height for a daily driver?
Not as bad as you would think. The front lip hits once in a while going down ramps (just scrapes no real damage) and speed bumps need to be taken slower - that is about it. It is weird because when I get in my other cars (even my wife's SUV), I find myself unconciously slowing right down for ramps etc, when obviously in those cars I don't have to - it shows that you adapt.

If the car is really a daily driver, I would suggest splitting the difference with a drop of about 1/2" over what you have now.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I think I'm going to start with 1/2" and see what happens. Thank you!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Check your chin spoiler height against those concrete wheelstop bars in a parking lot. My Gransport usually shows less than 1/2 inch clearance at stock height, so I didn't want to go any lower.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You're right about that, I've scraped the spoiler on those a couple of times, now I try to stop far away from them.

Talking about low car, I just ran over a little plastic bucket on the freeway and that thing got stuck under the car. I stopped and got it out but now the car smells like melted plastic. I hope it goes away soon.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.