Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Kent, thanks for doing this. One question - I remember from your first post on this that it was determined that the allen wrench for the drain plug is 12mm, not 10mm. See below:

Gentlemen I have made a few ammendments to this ppt.
BCube was correct in the engine sump drain bolt being a 12mm. ...
Assuming 12mm is correct, I don't think this was updated on your presentation.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thank you, Kent! You're THE MAN !!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Would there be any problem replacing just the filter, say 1/2 way before your next oil chage? Any particular procedure required with the Coupe's dry sump system?

It's a habit I developed over the years with my others cars after reading that many oil filters "fill up" with crap before your next oil change.

I'm also curious - is there a "service light" that comes on when the car requires an oil change? And if so, is it something a DIYer can reset themselves?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
i think it all depends on how long ur waiting between oil changes. i change mine every 3k cause i like to know that i have fresh oil and the fact that i know my engine is clean inside makes me feel better that im taking care of her

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
im not sure a new filter between a 3k oil change is nessessary. but if it makes u feel better thats kool. some people say a 3k oil change is to soon but i like the idea and i do it

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
im not sure a new filter between a 3k oil change is nessessary. but if it makes u feel better thats kool. some people say a 3k oil change is to soon but i like the idea and i do it
I think changing the oil sooner than reccomended is one of the best things you can do for ANY car. I have to give credit to a cousin of mine who told me about this a long time ago.... he was good about getting maintenance done on his cars in general, but he was completely over-the-top-obsessive about oil - he would change his oil & filter out at HALF the recommended intervals... he drove a lot, and hooned the shit out of his cars (not all the time, but often enough), yet 50k miles later his cars would be running just as strong as they did when they were brand-new.

Not recommending that you beat the shit out of your cars, but you get what I'm saying. lol

Speaking of which, I have close to 3k on my car since the 30k service was done.... going to be time to change mine soon.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
well 3k is way before the recommended change isnt it?? thats when i do mine. i feel the same way. keep the engine clean as u can. i just dont think its nessessary to change the oil filter every 1500 miles as i think Flyinbrian says. But as long as we take care of our cars is the main thing

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
well 3k is way before the recommended change isnt it?? thats when i do mine. i feel the same way. keep the engine clean as u can. i just dont think its nessessary to change the oil filter every 1500 miles as i think Flyinbrian says. But as long as we take care of our cars is the main thing
Yes, the recommended is 7500 or once a season from what I remember. Changing it any earlier than that won't do anything other than help you spend some money, unless you are racing the car, which means you should be changing after every race.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts