Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

As you all may know, a black car is a bi*ch to take car of... good thing it looks amazing when clean and waxed :-D

Anyway... I was just wondering, what is the best way to "dust" the car? Should I just wash it every week, or is it "ok" to use a california duster or something?

Any tips appreciated :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
If it's just dust, I simply hose the car with a powerful pistol garden hose nozzle. This way it won't leave any marks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yep, I use a California Duster on my black '02. I always brush lightly in one direction.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
squid,

does it scratch the clearcoat? Dust is essentially lots and lots of itty bitty rocks... I dont want to kill my paint lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Everyday contaminants includes acids, tree sap, bugs and bird droppings..... Water is the best for these, before they started attacking the clear coat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There's a product called "Speed Shine" put out by Griot's Garage in Washington that's amazing (www.griotsgarage.com). You spritz some on and wipe gently with a microfibre towel and you get an amazing "just waxed" shine. The product is designed to be used between washings, and is very quick and easy to apply. Also, I've been told to never use a California Duster due to the inevitable scratching that occurs.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
JohnD said:
There's a product called "Speed Shine" put out by Griot's Garage in Washington that's amazing (www.griotsgarage.com). You spritz some on and wipe gently with a microfibre towel and you get an amazing "just waxed" shine. The product is designed to be used between washings, and is very quick and easy to apply. Also, I've been told to never use a California Duster due to the inevitable scratching that occurs.
And the itching! OY! I'll call Docta Greenbaum! :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
MaseratiBoy said:
squid,

does it scratch the clearcoat? Dust is essentially lots and lots of itty bitty rocks... I dont want to kill my paint lol
My paint looked like shit (before I got it buffed) so I shouldn't be the one to answer that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a question along the same lines. I'm assuming a car can only be buffed so many times before you eat away the clear coat completely. How can you tell if the clearcoat is getting too thin? Is there any way to restore it?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have used a lot of different products I use dusters but only on light colored cars there is always dust left or scratches left otherwise...Speed shine is good but there are a lot of detailers out there the two best I have found are meguiars quick detailer (it's cheap and easily accesable) but if you want to go highend check out www.prevettes.com thier detailer is the best hands down...I also really like thier clay and claybar lubricant

Kayman...clear will eventually wear away...ifyou buffed it daily...for a year or 5...Masers have thick paint on them...always have the buffing professionaly done...given your general appearance of ineptness you could end up hurting yourself...or others

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a little 3gal air compressor that I use as a source of air to blow dust off my car (black '02 Coupe GT), then follow up with a microfiber towel and a detailer spray finish. Sometimes a very light brushing with a California duster is in order before the spray and wipe.... (I wait until Pep Boys, or other parts supplier has them on sale and buy a few, then I can treat them as disposable when they ultimately load up with dirt)

·
Registered
635 Posts
As JohnD mentioned, Speed Shine from Griot's Garage is amazing.

In fact, for those folks in Washington, I have scheduled a Griot's Garage Car Care Tech session with the Maserati and Lamborghini clubs. We are expecting a good turnout. In fact, I'm letting Griot's use my "Black" '02 GT Coupe so they can can do a demo on how to remove swirl marks.

Its this Saturday (March 17th, 11am) at Griot's Garage in Fife, Wa.

http://www.maseratinet.com/

Look at the calender for March 17th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts