Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just bought QP '05 with 1200 miles on it. I didn't know too much about Maserati/Ferrari and now I'm trying to find some information on the Internet and this forum looks like very helpful.

First of all I found that clutch is not reliable on this car, so I want to know how it is better to drive this car so the clutch will last longer? On AUTO or MANUAL mode and with SPORT button acrivated or not? I'm not sure, but I think with SPORT button it's shifting better, so I like it. I don't like MANUAL mode too much because most of the time I'm driving in bumper to bumper traffic, so I'm using MANUAL when I want to drive really fast on weekends.

I've seen some people here saying that they are going to NEUTRAL every time before stop on the light, to save clutch, but for me it looks boring. Also I want to know if I should keep accelerating in MANUAL mode when shifting UP or should I lift my foot off the pedal?

And what SPORT button exactly does?

I'm sorry for all this dumb question, but I didn't find exact answer on this questions in the Internet and the Manual I have is in italian and I'm waiting for spanish or english versions from my dealer.

What do you think, if I will drive it always on AUTO mode with SPORT button activated in bumper to bumper traffic and racing on weekends also with AUTO/SPORT how many miles the clutch will last? If it's like 10,000 miles, it's definitely okay for me, but if it's only like 3,000 miles (some people did it regarding to some posts on this forum - or they are not lucky? or was not driving it correctly?) I will start thinking to sell this car, even I like it a lot.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
278 Posts
clutch wears when it slips. Once engaged there is no wear. I think there is not much of a difference between manual, sport etc. It slips when you start from standstill, stop & go or go reverse. This is even worse on hills. Especially DO NOT use the motor to hold your car from rolling back on a hill as you would do with a full automatic car. So a lot of stop and go traffic, parking, hills etc will define your clutch life. If you have to wait a long time (traffic light just turned red) it is a good idea to put it in neutral.
The usuers manual recommends shifting without lifting your foot from the gas pedal. However you can shift smoother if you lift your foot a bit. No sure what is best but the rough gear change with full gas in sport does not inspire much confidence on how long the parts can take this? Any vieuws on that?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Clutch wear has been previosuly covered at lenght on the Board, so I would suggest to search and read more. To sum;
- to save clutch avoid "slipping" it (if you have driven manual you know exactly what this is). Its a powerful engine, so it will wear the clutch quicker than a 1.2l diesel if you slip it
- auto/manual makes little difference on wear
- sport/normal also makes little difference, sport modes' more sudden engagements possibly means slightly less wear
- clutch life is not about miles, but number of engagements / amount of slip
- no point in putting it in Neutral in red lights; if you are immobile and apply the breaks the clutch isn't engaged, i.e. will not slip or wear

- Toffe

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sport button:

If you have a button labeled "Sport" you have the skyhook suspension (non skyhook cars say "PWR" or "Power")

engaging this button reduces shift time and stiffens the suspension

most people with whom I've spoken say that leaving the car in Sport mode is easiest on the clutch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never seen an early QP without the sport button. Does that mean pretty much all of them were equipped with skyhook?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts