Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to admit it, but it gave me a bit of itch to own one only 10 days after getting my GT-R. I wish I had room for and could justify owning both. Very different cars.

The GT S is sexy, fast and smooth. It felt much better put together than my old coupe and almost graceful. It didn't feel as fast as the old coupe (I assume because it was so smooth). The sound from the car was absolute perfection. I wanted one after a 10 minute drive. The GT S is for those who want the most beautiful and charismatic four seat performance car built.

The GT-R is modern, scary fast and a little angry. It drives more like my old coupe than the GT S. A little more work to drive on a daily basis and requires more attention. Much smaller than the coupe and especially the GT S. It absolutely lives up to the hype on its performance. Shifts are ultra quick, but less somehow less intuitive than they were in the GT S (maybe because I spent the last 3 years in a Maserati and the last 10 days in a GT-R). The GT-R is for those who value pure performance over some comfort and luxury trade-off.

The GT-R definitely appeals to the gear-heads and not the mainstream like the Maseratis. The GT-R is (unfortunately) a dude magnet. Ladies under 30 know it because of the boyfriend/husband. If I was single, the Maser is the obvious choice.

Like I said, I wish I could own both. I love my GT-R, but today was a good reminder why the Italian cars are so special. I need to figure out where I'm going to park another car. The wife is gonna be pissed. What a great day.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Much smaller than the coupe and especially the GT S.
Are you talking about the Nissan? If so, it doesn't look smaller than the Coupe, quite the opposite.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the Nissan? If so, it doesn't look smaller than the Coupe, quite the opposite.
Yes, the Nissan. The interior space is smaller than the Maser coupe. Yes it is a larger car overall (about 14" longer I think), but the space is in the trunk and wide track. The rear seat legroom is about 4" smaller I would guess. I should have been clearer.

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
He was talking about the Coupe... :D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

Like I said, I wish I could own both. ...
go for it. why not? i have the GT-R and the other two maseratis.

the maseratis are works of art. the GT-R is an engineering masterpiece.

you can have italian one day and japanese another. you don't eat the same food everyday.

for me, the GT-R is a daily driver now. very easily to drive, unlike your account of "A little more work to drive on a daily basis and requires more attention. " may be a little more attention to the speed but it is very easy to drive. the upshifts are better in the GT-R but on the downshifts the maseratis are better.

just buy the GT-S for the wife.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He was talking about the Coupe... :D
Nope. I'm talking about the GranTurismo S. I used to own a 2002 coupe. The GT S is on a different level than the coupe. I considered the GranTurismo before buying the GT-R, but didn't want an automatic. I consider the S a substantial improvement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the upshifts are better in the GT-R but on the downshifts the maseratis are better.
Agreed. This is where I'm coming from when I say a little more difficult to drive daily. I hate the GT-R downshifts in daily traffic. It only downshifts well when driven aggressively.

Also, the GT-R is easier to drive daily than the old coupe, but not the GranTurismo.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nope. I'm talking about the GranTurismo S. I used to own a 2002 coupe. The GT S is on a different level than the coupe. I considered the GranTurismo before buying the GT-R, but didn't want an automatic. I consider the S a substantial improvement.
My beef with the GT-S is price.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Macadoo!

Did you take the ride down at FoD with Derek and the guys??? I tried to catch you over at FerrariChat the other day but you were already gone... So the GT-R is obviously very quick, probably a lot of fun but I see you still are in love with an italian.... That's why I won't switch, have to admit I don't care to be the fastest guy in town anymore, but I sure do like being the one with the best Tubi tunes and the most mystic...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you take the ride down at FoD with Derek and the guys??? I tried to catch you over at FerrariChat the other day but you were already gone... So the GT-R is obviously very quick, probably a lot of fun but I see you still are in love with an italian.... That's why I won't switch, have to admit I don't care to be the fastest guy in town anymore, but I sure do like being the one with the best Tubi tunes and the most mystic...
Hey. I posted a quick note there yesterday also.

Went with John for a quick ride. Great group over there. The GT S sounds as good as any Ferrari I've heard. To me, the S would be worth the extra money. More torque (which you could feel), better tranny and the sound. Took a little of the German influence out of the car.

I'm guessing there is an Italian somewhere in my not-too-distant future, but I need to figure out where to park it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
John...

John is an awesome guy! Always there to help and more knowledge about the car than in the manuals... They really are good down there at FoD. I will have to stop by soon and see if I can go out for a spin in the GT-S...

As for parking... I would check out one of those tuff sheds, you could put some heat in there, drive it right in.. : - )

·
Registered
695 Posts
I hate to admit it, but it gave me a bit of itch to own one only 10 days after getting my GT-R. I wish I had room for and could justify owning both. Very different cars.

The GT S is sexy, fast and smooth. It felt much better put together than my old coupe and almost graceful. It didn't feel as fast as the old coupe (I assume because it was so smooth). The sound from the car was absolute perfection. I wanted one after a 10 minute drive. The GT S is for those who want the most beautiful and charismatic four seat performance car built.

The GT-R is modern, scary fast and a little angry. It drives more like my old coupe than the GT S. A little more work to drive on a daily basis and requires more attention. Much smaller than the coupe and especially the GT S. It absolutely lives up to the hype on its performance. Shifts are ultra quick, but less somehow less intuitive than they were in the GT S (maybe because I spent the last 3 years in a Maserati and the last 10 days in a GT-R). The GT-R is for those who value pure performance over some comfort and luxury trade-off.

The GT-R definitely appeals to the gear-heads and not the mainstream like the Maseratis. The GT-R is (unfortunately) a dude magnet. Ladies under 30 know it because of the boyfriend/husband. If I was single, the Maser is the obvious choice.

Like I said, I wish I could own both. I love my GT-R, but today was a good reminder why the Italian cars are so special. I need to figure out where I'm going to park another car. The wife is gonna be pissed. What a great day.
Slightly OT, but your comment rings true. I have a 30-something buddy who drives a Noble. He loves his car but at times gets tired of the attention he gets from the teen-age "ricers". He has commented that he notices that the Maser (especially when the top is down) gets a lot of attention from the "ladies". Since we are gearheads and he used to own a G35, I asked him if the GT-R was on his radar. Basically the answer was no - mainly because of the crowd it would attract.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm curious about your "smooth" comment, is that in regards to the gearbox too? The GT-R is dual clutch (I think) so I can see that being smooth, but is the Maserati gearbox lack kick between shifts? I'm not sure how many agree with me, but I've driven a DSG/dual cluth in VW's and its so smooth it takes the fun out of it. The sensation and motion your body makes in the seat is lost, so I think I prefer that little pop in the back a F1 sequential box gives you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No Tuff Shed for me. HOA and a small yard won't let it happen. My best bets are new office space with a garage or a relative with extra garage space moving nearby. Both are distinct possibilites, so I just need to wait it out. We looked at an office building with a 3000 sq ft garage a few months ago. That would have been sweet, but the timing wasn't right.

I could definitely see the same crowd intersted in the Noble as the GT-R, though the Noble might actually have a slightly broader appeal due to the moderately exotic look. (At least until one actually gets in the car.) I took my dad (who drives a 2008 CL600) for a ride in the GT-R last weekend and his first comment was that it is a young man's car. Funny. I don't mind the crowd, as it somewhat fits my demographic and is fun to watch the enthusiasm. I do wish they would stay out of my blind spot, though.

Yes, the GT-R is a dual clutch. Shifting is fast and smooth under constant acceleration, where it does feel closer to an automatic. Under contant speed, decel, or start I can feel the mechanical clunk and grab of the clutch. The GT S definitely took longer to shift and had more of a manual lag feel to it under acceleration, though I couldn't discern the clunk under any circumstance. Felt either more solid or like a better release of the clutch (if that makes sense). Much, much more refined than the old cambiocorsa. I'm probably confusing the matter worse, but both cars are smooth, just in different ways. You would in no way confuse either car's tranny for a torque converter.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Put the kids in the car....

That's where the GT-S will shine.. Loads of room in there, not just room but classy comfortable room... I understand the Tuff Shed, I was joking, but even I am looking for additional space, want to keep my Maserati Coupe but would also like to get the new Convertible GT or the Ferrari California in the next year or so... Have to wait and see what the market brings...

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm guessing there is an Italian somewhere in my not-too-distant future, but I need to figure out where to park it.[/QUOTE]

I made a sacrifice for my MCC, I am actually taking the bus to work and back just to have my Maserati in my garrage under cover. I love the car, it might not be your guy's favorite car but for a strater I think it's gr8.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I made a sacrifice for my MCC, I am actually taking the bus to work and back just to have my Maserati in my garrage under cover. I love the car, it might not be your guy's favorite car but for a strater I think it's gr8.
what's a MCC? you mean MCV?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts