Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2006 CC. I am strugling with the drive. Do I drive in Auto all the time? Can I still change gears manually in Auto? I tried to read the manual, but it made me more confused. It must be an Italian translation thing!

I appreciate any advice you guys have for a newbie

AJ

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think most here will tell you to avoid driving in Auto mode at all. But if you do, by pulling on the gear paddle will disengage Auto mode and put you back in manual mode.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Congrats on the 06 Maserati and welcome to the forum.

You're going to want to avoid Auto mode to increase the life of your clutch noticably. Learning to drive the CC is a bit tricky at first but you'll get used to it.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
722 Posts
Some simple advice would be to leave it on sport mode, non-auto, and drive and shift as if it were a manual transmission.

While driving or stopped, you can pull both paddles for neutral, then either paddle to get back into a gear (the car will choose one for you).

One special case: while creeping along at almost-zero speed, you need to have your foot on the brake to get 1st gear.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Some simple advice would be to leave it on sport mode, non-auto, and drive and shift as if it were a manual transmission.

While driving or stopped, you can pull both paddles for neutral, then either paddle to get back into a gear (the car will choose one for you).

One special case: while creeping along at almost-zero speed, you need to have your foot on the brake to get 1st gear.
Deane,

I am going to disagree with you on that statement. Once I go into neutral, I have to pull the right paddle (or push forward on the T-handle) to get into 1st. Pulling the left paddle don't do squat after neutral. Which sometimes confuses me due to years of motorcycling with 1-N-2-3-4-5-6 sequential transmissions. I am expecting 1st gear to be on the downshift side of Neutral. So in the Spyder, I am like WTF!, with car horns barring until I remember right paddle, right paddle. One of the reasons why I no longer coast in neutral. The other reason for not coasting is like you mentioned, at a certain low speed, the computer wants to register a foot on the brake to engage the transmission. This can lead to an accident in traffic, when cars/trucks behind see traffic starting to move, and the stupid person in front with the Italian car is hitting the brakes, trying to get the tranny back in gear.

brian

·
Registered
581 Posts
Drive hard - drive fast - drive often

Don't despair - I think all of us had a little bit of a learning curve on the CC transmission. I left mine in auto for a couple of hundred miles at first (sport mode) just to get the feel for the car. Then I started shifting it manually out on the highway and so on. Main thing to keep in mind is that ultimatley it drives like a manual! After a couple of thousand miles you will be zipping around in town like a pro. There are many threads here on how to drive and what to avoid with plenty of good advise, but ultimately I think you will adopt your own driving style based on what seems to work for you. I like to shift up between 4,000-4,500 RPM and down around 3,000 RPM in normal day-to-day driving. When going up/down garages I just keep it in first gear and keep a steady pace around 2,000 RPM. DON'T hang on the clutch - the computer will send thousands of signals per second to the clutch and wear/confuse the hell out of it. In bumper-to-bumper traffic let car in front of you pull ahead and then engage first gear with "authority" - try to ignore the jerks behind you honking. Don't back up long stretches - especially uphill - I just "bump" it (reason is that the clutch does not fully engage in reverse on a CC so lots of wear). Don't get too paranoid about what to do and not to do - just get out there and have a blast - practice makes perfect!

·
Registered
581 Posts
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6082

...has some fun advise and opinions.

·
Registered
722 Posts
..Once I go into neutral, I have to pull the right paddle (or push forward on the T-handle) to get into 1st. Pulling the left paddle don't do squat after neutral...
Hmm, in my 06, the left paddle does the same thing as the right from neutral.

Took me by surprise because I'd always read only about the right paddle, but was wondering if the left paddle would give me a lower gear than the right from neutral, so i tried it. Got the same gear as the right would have chosen.

I guess there may be subtle year-to-year differences.

·
Registered
58 Posts
driving tips

I had similar questions and contacted the local ( orlando, FL ) maserati dealership. After there 62 point inspection and showing me around the car, answering a million of my questions and generally being great hosts, I asked for a test drive...

I had been driving the car for a month in auto mode, but wanted to know more about traction control, paddle shifting, sport mode, etc...

They were more than happy to take me for a ride in my car - and it was well worth it to me. After a 20 minute drive, I knew where everything was and now I'm very comfortable paddle shifting and get the blinking "traction control activated" light to come on occasionally.

I have to admit that I was apprehensive about asking a dealer for a test drive in my own car... but they didn't have a problem with it... and who wouldn't want to take a maserati for a "spirited" drive - isn't that why we own them?

nothing but compliments for the staff in Orlando Ferrari / Maserati

dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.