Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lifting a comment/reply from a somewhat unrelated thread and making it it's own thread because I'm really interested in what thoughts people have on how driving style impacts the life of your CC clutch (setting aside the real answer, which is drive the way that makes you happy, and pay for clutches as needed):

Being "heavy footed" with the F1 is actually the way to extend wear. Throttle position determines how the ECU controls the clutch engagement. If you're just driving around with the RPM's around 3k and you shift into the next gear, it interprets that you are driving slow and want a smooth clutch engagement. The clutch is slipped slightly, giving you more wear than if you had the RPM's at 5500 and the pedal to the floor. This was the ECU would interpret aggressive driving and would engage the clutch as fast as possible, causing less slippage and less wear. Also, driving in "sport" mode has a similar effect.

For maximum clutch life, shift above 4k RPMs, drive in Sport mode and when shifting, give it full throttle (even if only momentarily while you're shifting). Use reverse as little as possible and when engaging in first, give it a full throttle, don't slowlly ease into it. Oh yea, and NEVER drive it in Auto mode.

That's interesting - I've been wondering about the best way to extend clutch life. I know two people, both with 02s (one coupe, one spyder), but with very different driving styles. One more or less follows your recommendation - drives always in sport mode, fairly aggressive, doesn't lift off the gas when shifting... and in 25K miles, is about to burn through his second clutch. The other never drives in sport mode, not terribly aggressive (i.e. 2-3K RPM shift), and lifts off the gas slightly when shifting. That clutch is at 28K and counting, never been replaced.

Owner #2 credits lifting off the gas at the shift for the life of the clutch (this is contrary to the owner's manual, of course, that says not to lift when shifting).

I have no idea. Haven't owned the car long enough to have developed an opinion, and my engineering knowledge is too limited to understand exactly how the F1 system works (this is also my first F1).

I have already figured out that Auto mode sucks, clutch wear or no clutch wear.

Interesting that reverse causes extra wear. What about taking off from a standing stop in second (as the owner's manual suggests you can)?

I see that at least one person reports getting 40K on the original clutch:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3420&highlight=clutch

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi there I would have to classify my self similar to the second person. I don't really drive aggressive as a matter of fact how can I I live in Los Angeles there is traffic all over anyhow if you want more life out of your clutch simply treat it good. Always drive on sports mode it changes gears real fast so there is less damage and try to never drive auto and the whole reverse thing man we only do it when we have to actually reverse I don't think anyone can control how much they reverse lol also I have heard if you change the gear oil like every 25k that doesnt hurt too and its not super expensive to do. I have a 03 spyder it has 31k and its running on its first clutch and it works just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello everyone. About 2 years ago, Maserati sent out a memo retracting what the owners manual states about shifting in a cambiocorsa vehicle. It specificly stated that it was ok to continue shifting without lifting your right foot but now recommended that a slight lift would be better. I hope to find that retraction so that i can share with everyone. Having driven manual cars of all types during the last 37 years, logic tells me that if you are constantly "power" shifting (no lifting and on the power) you will definitely wear out your clutch and other transmission components much faster no matter what a computer tries to compensate for.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Maserati Driving School....

recommends a slight lift on the throttle when shifting with the CC. For those who have taken the school, it's one of the first things they tell you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts