Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping around for a Spyder over the last 6-8 weeks and there's one thing I've noticed that I need to inquire about. Why do so many of the used Spyders for sale have low mileage on them? Cars.com currently lists 56 Spyders for sale and only 1 has over 40,000 miles on it, with several having less than 10,000 miles. Can some explain why this is? With the depreciation that these cars experience, they're obviously weren't bought as investments. Given that these cars are generally 4-6 years old, it doesn't make much sense and is seems much lower than a Mercedes or Jaguar of a similar age. Here are the potential reasons that I came up with, but have no idea if any of these are correct:

1. These cars are bought as "toys" and therefore don't get driven as on a regular basis.
2. The cars spend more time in the shop than on the road.
3. Regular upkeep / maintenance is prohibitively expensive.
4. The cars don't age well so people are trying to limit the wear on the car.
5. Maserati owners don't get out much :)

My intention is to actually drive whatever convertible I end up buying with the intention of driving it 10,000-15,000 miles per year. Is this an unrealistic expectation for a Spyder?

One other quick question... It's my understanding that if the car is a GT it has a 6-speed manual transmission and if it's a Cambiocorsa it has the F1 paddle shifters. Is that correct? So many of the advertised vehicles are inconsistent in their labeling, I just want to make sure I understand the designations.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I think Spyders then to be weekend cars for most owners hence the low mileage.

Good luck with your search :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
I drive mine every day, 10K miles since new in 18 months so far. It's been extremely reliable.

Of your five possible reasons, the only one I concur with is #1 (bought as toy).

The spyder is a lot of fun to drive but you must drive it - the car demands attention to operate, unlike a Benz or Lexus. This means that it's much more suited toward fun trips than a repetitive daily slog where you pile on miles in traffic. You can't really get much out of the car sandwiched between a Suburban and a landscaping truck.

So I think many people buy them expecting to put on more miles, but find they'd rather be in an ordinary car for ordinary trips.

That said, I enjoy mine every time I get into it. It makes an event out of a commute.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
It's #1 and a little of what DeaneG said - it's a 3rd car for me at the moment - would never be a second - fourth maybe. So I spread the miles -not intentionally - just been driving based on how I feel. The Maserati is clean and in the garage so why take it out in the pouring rain - I'll take the Audi or MB. etc etc.

I'll bet the QP's have higher mileage - more likely to be a DD

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Bought my '06 Spyder in November and have put 1,700 breathtaking (s)miles on it since. I agree with most before me here that I bought mine for the weekend, top-down thrill.....I am like a kid every time I get in it. I am SO HAPPY that I bought mine and know you'd get the same out of yours. FWIW - I bought mine from a guy that drove it every day to his office in Naples.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've been shopping around for a Spyder over the last 6-8 weeks and there's one thing I've noticed that I need to inquire about. Why do so many of the used Spyders for sale have low mileage on them? Cars.com currently lists 56 Spyders for sale and only 1 has over 40,000 miles on it, with several having less than 10,000 miles. Can some explain why this is? With the depreciation that these cars experience, they're obviously weren't bought as investments. Given that these cars are generally 4-6 years old, it doesn't make much sense and is seems much lower than a Mercedes or Jaguar of a similar age. Here are the potential reasons that I came up with, but have no idea if any of these are correct:

1. These cars are bought as "toys" and therefore don't get driven as on a regular basis.
2. The cars spend more time in the shop than on the road.
3. Regular upkeep / maintenance is prohibitively expensive.
4. The cars don't age well so people are trying to limit the wear on the car.
5. Maserati owners don't get out much :)

My intention is to actually drive whatever convertible I end up buying with the intention of driving it 10,000-15,000 miles per year. Is this an unrealistic expectation for a Spyder?

One other quick question... It's my understanding that if the car is a GT it has a 6-speed manual transmission and if it's a Cambiocorsa it has the F1 paddle shifters. Is that correct? So many of the advertised vehicles are inconsistent in their labeling, I just want to make sure I understand the designations.

Thanks!
6. Maserati owners have many cars at their disposal.

2-5 are absolutely incorrect.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mr. Bard,

Although you are not the first person to ask about Maserati reliability, I do believe you are the first potential buyer who expressed unhappiness with finding such a large selection of cars with low mileage. I would be happy to sign a sales contract with you with the following terms:

For a sales price of $65K, you will receive in one year from today on May 19 2009:

A)The Spyder will be in very good mechanical condition with 50% life left in normal consumable/replaceable parts such as brakes, clutch, battery,tires, etc.
B)The Spyder will have no modifications and will pass California emissions.
C)The Spyder will have 15 months and the difference in mileage less of the 48K miles maximum of factory warranty available.
And the clause that benefits us both the most:
D) The Spyder will have 41,300K miles on the odometer. The benefit to you is a well sorted out '05 Maserati Spyder and the benefit to me is that I get to put 35K miles on it this next year in its new role as my Daily Driver.

Sound like a deal? :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most of the down time is....the owners spending four to five
hours cleaning/waxing/ ect. every other day.;)

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I have an 06 Spyder with 9K on it. Driven only on weekends if the roads are dry. I have had no issues and bought it off the showroom floor. Probably paid too much, but when I am driving it is worth every penny.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was concerned about the low mileage cars out there also. I enjoy playing with my toys. I've put 7,000 miles on mine in 7 months and it has been dead reliable. Its surprising comfortable on longer trips also.

Its not a car you can just bounce around in though. You have to pay attention to curbs, speed bumps, and the large number of panties being tossed at you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Bcube, I wasn't expressing unhappiness with the selection, just concern. If someone bought the car new for $90k-$100k and six years later the car has 10,000 miles and their asking $40k, the dollars per mile driven is pretty painful (excluding gas, regular maintenance, etc).

I was initially concerned about reliability when reading through this forum as it's full of Q&A about issues that people are experiencing. But, that's one of the purposes of the forum. It quickly became apparent that I wasn't reading about all the trouble-free miles that many people experience because there's no need for them to post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts