Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I've indicated in an earlier post, I've gotten to drive a Granpsort. I've never gotten to drive a Coupe. :confused:

How different are they? Does the Coupe on Sport Mode (Does it have a sport mode?) pretty much behave like a Gransport on regular mode? Do the wheel sizes matter? I've seen a couple of '06 and '05 coupes with the Gransport 19" wheels, and wondered if that would make the vehicle handle better, or closer to the Gransport?

For those of you with experience, please best describe what you would consider the Coupe's characteristics to be: Like, close to 911. . .or supple, but sportier than Merc SL. Feels like BMW M3, etc.

Is there a difference among the '05 and 06's versus the '03's and 04's?

Thanks for taking the time to reply! :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
On street driving the differences between a Coupe and GS are subtle but there.

The GS is much stickier and feels a lot lighter and tighter. It has a lot less roll in turns.

best,
dsd

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, you can get SPORT mode in coupe, but you must also have Cambiocorsa as well. The sport mode is part of the adaptive-damping system, called Skyhook.

"Sport" mode is mislabelled, since it actually feels more comfortable than non-skyhook cars. But it does turn better due to the adaptive-suspension.

I agree that the difference between the skyhook and non-skyhook is subtle.

I had a air-cooled 993 before, and the suspension of an non-skyhook car feels very similar to that. Nothing like a Merc or BMW. You can feel every stone on the road.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I only had a very limited time in a skyhook car, but I did feel very slightly more comfortable on the freeway. The Skyhook should automatically adjust the stiffness of the suspension according to different road and driving conditions, so on the freeway, it should have the softest setting, and it should progressively become harder as you press hard on the pedals or turning fast.

Just a note, most Skyhook cars and GS are fitted with 19" wheels, and the hardness might there because of the less rubber they have.

·
Registered
909 Posts
19" wheels are only on the GranSports, all Coupes have 18" wheels, in two designs (mid 03 changover to 7 spoke), and multiple finishes - standard silver painted (the only finish on 02\ early 03 wheels), ball polished, and Grigio Mercury \ gunmetal style painted.

Then the MC Victory also has unique dark grey wheels.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Skyhook suspension is not necessarily needed for the Sport mode in any Maserati. We have 4, none have skyhook and all (cambios) have Sport mode. The sport mode alters the suspencion to eliminate body roll, also tweeks the throttle responce so that the engine revs free-er than usual and makes the shifts much harsher and lightning-quick if your accelerating hard.

BTW this is my first post here, Hi everybody. As for the general difference in driving the two (GS vs Coupe) the GS feels more solid - it turns sharper, accelerates harder, brakes harder. And the feeling is MUCH more like sitting in a legit racecar because of the thick steering wheel and the grip the car has on the road. I don't know any figures off the top of my head but I think the GS has a signifigantly wider rear-wheel-base than the coupe. Plus the extra 10hp is noticable when accelerating.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If the cars don't have skyhook, sport mode can't alter the suspension.

I think in '04 they made all the buttons say sport rather than power\sport depending on suspension option in the earlier cars. So the easiest way to see if the car has skyhook or not is when you start the car, the light should come on momentarily (the red car indicator with an up arrow above and down arrow below).

Sport - with skyhook equipped presets setting for tighter bound\rebound, increases CC shift speed about 30% over normal, turns MSP down - allows up to 6 degrees lateral acceleration and engine power is reduced less by the TCS to stop wheelspin, throttle response is increased, and in the GS the exhaust is fully opened (four exit pipes vs. two). (In automatic mode, the Sport mode also changes the shift points higher, holds higher, etc)

The GranSport's CC is programmed for 35% faster shifts in Sport vs. the standard Coupe. The GS' suspension is about an inch lower, and about 30% stiffer than the standard Coupe.

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes, you can get SPORT mode in coupe, but you must also have Cambiocorsa as well. The sport mode is part of the adaptive-damping system, called Skyhook.
No, I have a GT with skyhook and the sport mode stiffens the suspension dramatically.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Having driven the GS and Coupe side to side on track I think there is a BIG difference between the Coupe and the GS. The GS is definitely the more serious sports car. For me personally the GS would be the one to go with. I also had the chance to experience Skyhook vs. Non-Skyhook side by side through slalom cones. What a difference. I wouldn't want a car without Skyhook it does a lot more than "stiffen the suspension, it effectively controls body roll, damping in turn making the car much more controllable and compliant.
Just my 2 c.;)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My '05 CC with skyhook and sport mode rocks! I burn rubber off the line every time I punch it in sport mode (then it flat hooks up). Down to the wear bars in the rear after 7500 miles :D Very similar to the tire wear on my Viper... And a HELL of a lot more fun to drive! I'm not complaining.. Just bragging :cool:

·
Registered
824 Posts
I recall reading or hearing that Skyhook will do stuff like stiffen the rear suspension as you launch hard to minimize nose lift etc.

I'm very glad I got Skyhook, one of my favorite features on the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The book doesn't say what "Sport" mode does to the engine but you can obviously hear the difference. Does anybody know what changes the computer makes to the engine dynamics?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Fubar;

Beyond what's already been shown, it's mostly just engine\transmission relationship dynamics that are changed, except the throttle response is slightly increased.

GS exhaust changes:

First picture is looking at the right side tailpipes straight on, you will see a bracket on the bottom with 2775 stamped on it, and a bung welded on the top of the exhaust pipe directly above it. This is where the actuated exhaust baffle is located.

Picture two is looking through the mesh in the rear bumper, just to the left of where the pipes come out. I've highlighted the vacuum-actuator that turns the baffle in the tailpipe.

Third picture is looking down the tailpipe, and you will see the butterfly defaults to the open position. This is why it is on when you start, and then a valve at the front of the car controls whether it gets vacuum or not, with springing to open the default position, and with vacuum the baffle closes.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, that was a great response. Thanks for taking the time to explain that and adding the pictures. Very nice!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts