Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just has been a few months since I got my first Maserati and it happens to be Ghibli Q4 Reading about other models I was mentaly prepared for some issues with comes with ownership of that brand. Well, just after 1500 miles I already have one…

When I make a turns I have a feeling like rear wheels skipping instead of spinning. That is "weird sensation" especially noticeable from the start when car still cold. It's goes away after 30-40 mins of driving. As far as I can judge it has something to do with rear differential.

Sure I am taking my car to dealer but I and wondering if someone else experienced that type of issue with drivetrain?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
If you live somewhere cold like I do, this isn't completely unusual for an AWD car. If your tires are more Summer tires than All-Season tires, when it gets cold the rubber hardens and will skip across the pavement instead of staying glued to it.

I suspect that either a change in differential oil type, ie: something with a viscosity that can handle the cold temperatures a bit better and/or different tires will resolve your concern.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
As a guy who swaps between performance and winter tires I can say that that sounds quite familiar and I'm not driving an AWD. As ECS mentioned, they just kinda slide around until warm, which explains why you feel a change after about a 1/2 hour. And the colder it gets the worse the issue becomes until they're just dangerous. If you're going to drive the car in temperatures below freezing I HIGHLY suggest you go the route of winter tires. Even on an AWD car, they're just going to become useless as temperatures drop.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally Posted by GHBLIt just has been a few months since I got my first Maserati and it happens to be Ghibli Q4 Reading about other models I was mentaly prepared for some issues with comes with ownership of that brand. Well, just after 1500 miles I already have one…

When I make a turns I have a feeling like rear wheels skipping instead of spinning. That is "weird sensation" especially noticeable from the start when car still cold. It's goes away after 30-40 mins of driving. As far as I can judge it has something to do with rear differential.

Sure I am taking my car to dealer but I and wondering if someone else experienced that type of issue with drivetrain?
Hi GHBL,

My name is Howie from MaseratiCares - the official Maserati North America online customer agent.

It looks like you may need to acquire winter tires from your local Maserati authorized dealer. You should see an improvement once this is installed.

You can find your local Maserati dealer at this link: http://goo.gl/9oUZG8

Please don't hesitate to contact me through the forum if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Howie - MaseratiCares

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same thing with my SQ4 - definitely related to temperature. I may have to replace the tires as we do get some cold weather in the Winter here in NC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same thing with my SQ4 - definitely related to temperature. I may have to replace the tires as we do get some cold weather in the Winter here in NC.

Would you be so kind to let me know what kind of tires you have?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank a lot to all for your replies.

My Q4 has 20" wheels with Pirelli P Zero Summer Performance tires
Based on your feedback I did some research and found similar complains for that type for tires in cold weather. Most people strongly suggesting do not drive on that tires in tempareture
below 45 F

In confirmation to that I found this on tirerack.com

"Designed to heighten performance in the dry and especially in the wet, P Zero System tires were originally developed for some of the world's fastest cars, such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Porsche. Pirelli’s warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero System tires, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+System

My BMW has summer performance tire as well (not Pirelli) and I was able to drive past winter on dry road without any problem. Seems like it's deferent for each brand and type of tire.

I really hope the issue is tire and not a drivetrain as I thought before.

Well.. my Bimmer is already wearing winter tires so Maser will be resting till warmer time comes to New York :-(

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
TI really hope the issue is tire and not a drivetrain as I thought before.(
As mentioned many times above, it *is* the tires. P-Zeros are excellent performance tires in good weather. In the cold they're useless and they'll eventually lose traction. This is what you're experiencing and you're using P-Zeros in cold weather.

·
Registered
276 Posts
switch to winter tires, do not risk an accident. it will be worth the investment.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've been driving a new QP. It's on summer tyres and is skipping the front wheels on lock at slow speeds below about 5c. Looking forward to getting my car back as it has winter tyres on and never does this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
had the same problem. just switched to pirelli sottozero 3 winter tires. problem went away. these tires are very solid btw - had snow yesterday - very nice job...

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
had the same problem. just switched to pirelli sottozero 3 winter tires. problem went away. these tires are very solid btw - had snow yesterday - very nice job...
:thumbsup: I have the same tires. Best I've owned to this point (and in Chicago we're familiar with winter tires).

·
Registered
138 Posts
the issue lies with the steering geometry which ,as all modern cars, does not use true ackermann geometry.(the steering rack being fixed upsets this formula)

due to cost ,manufacturers do not make different steering arms for different wheel base models within a range so this too adds a discrepancy to the steering geometry within a model range. e.g.lwb range rover same front end as std. I dont know for sure but ghibli front hubs may be same as qp (part numbers would confirm this) and the geometry cannot be correct for both.

hard tyres emphasis this issue. As no one makes new linkages for this car(kits are available for other brands to alter this) its a quick patch to change tyres to softer ones.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
It happens with RWD models as well, and, as you said, certain limitations are consistent with all modern cars, but the issue here is the compound used in P-Zeros. They harden in the cold and make them rather useless (just as the OP, and all of us, have experienced) so a tire swap is what we do. Luckily, Sottozeros are incredibly sticky tires and they practically suck the car to the pavement. I wish they didn't wear so quickly - I'd be tempted to use them year-round.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got the S Q4 with the summer PZero tires and they slipped all over the place, even in the summer, but especially in the rain. Since I've never been fond of Pirellis, I decided to look for an all weather tire. The only tires that I could find that fit my 18" wheels were Continental ContiPro Contact. I have them on my Mercedes and on my Audi, both all wheel drive cars also. The slipping is now gone but the tires still have to warm up a bit before they hug the road while driving hard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since Pirelli P Zero does not recommend to drive in temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), last week we had nice weather in New York and temperature approched 55° Fahrenheit. I took car for a long drive and it was very clear rear wheel skipping still was noticeable but MUCH LESS then during colder temperature. It was good test and it seems to me that Pirelli P Zero will "act normal" above 60° F

Also I was at Porsche dealer a few days ago. I mentioned that topic and SA told me that they are getting dozens of phone calls with similar complance as soon as temperature getting lower. Apparently Porsche puts Pirelli P Zero on 911s. He even showed me official memo from Porsche which explains reasons for "tire scrubbing" - as Porsche calling that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure of the diagnosis

We have the exact same problem on our 2014 Ghibli and it's definitely NOT a tire slippage problem. It jumps, jerks and skips on 100% dry surfaces but mostly happens when the car is turning from a stop, even with very little acceleration. It happens every time we back out of the driveway and turn down the street.

We were told by the dealer that it has something to do with the type of differential and that it is completely normal. I have to say, it feels really awful and not something that should happen with a $90,000 car. I have owned all kinds of luxury vehicles and never experienced anything like this.

Any other ideas than tire slippage?

·
Registered
138 Posts
pre load on diff too high (I have never rebuilt a maz rear limited slip diff but this would cause it to lock sooner on other types)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts