Maserati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've seen one or two posts on floppy sun visors in the forums, but after investigating the issue with my car, it looks as though someone may have actually opened the visor itself to try and fix it -- and with thread that doesn't match the stitching, no less.

I'd be willing to order a brand new visor and just replace the old one, but it's black alcantara and has the Homelink unit. Scuderia wants an eye-watering $1,000+ for a replacement unit. At this point, I'd rather just try to take my chances, dismount the old one, open it up, re-stitch it back together properly and try to figure out what is causing the droopiness.

Before I open that can of worms, though, anyone here have any insight for what I'm getting myself into? My goal would be to restore it to as-close-to-factory as possible. I know it won't be perfect, but I'd like to believe that I could do better than the last guy who did anything to it.

The pics below include the best shot I could take of the "fix" and the current at-rest position of the visor. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I'm no expert so not a whole lot of help. Visor droop is relatively common in other cars too. Is it the visor itself or the mounting point that is flimsy? If you're going to dig into it, I would suggest a couple of things. Check with some local auto restoration experts and see if they have any experience restoring visors. And I would recommend doing whatever you do to the left to the right as well, so the fit and finish stitching matches. And find an excellent seamstress. That's all I can offer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts