Maserati Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
...and acceleration times should be much better

I was reading the recent Car and Driver review of the Gran Turimso. Curiously, despite being hundreds of pounds heavier than the Coupe/GranSport and only a little more powerful (405 vs. 390), the Gran Turismo accelerates to 60 in 4.9 seconds and hits the quarter mile in 13.5. It weighs 4,374 lbs. The Coupe does it in 4.8 and 13.1. It weighs 3,700 lbs. That's a 674 pound difference! Surely the extra 15 hp doesn't make up for the extra weight. My point is that I believe it's the Cambiocorsa transmission that handicaps our cars in acceleration measurements because of the delay in initial movement. I am fully aware that Maserati considers the performance of the CC-equipped and standard-shift coupes equal, but C & D never tested a standard shift car. The seat of the pants sense of my coupe always made me suspicious that these cars would be in the 4.5/12.8 second range but for the problem with launching, particularly when comparing it with my prior E46 M3, which felt slower. It would appear that the automatic transmsission in the Gran Turisimo helped make up for the weight gain, as it can launch the car properly. I suspect that the Drive By Wire product offered by Formula Dynamics significantly impacts acceleration times.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts