Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This was in the QP forum but attracted little attention. More DBW owners seem to visit here)

No one seems to question the improvements the Formula Dynamics DBW module makes with regard to throttle response, but does that translate into better 0-60 times? The car may have an improved response to the accelerator, but is it quicker? Or is it simply arriving at 60 more smoothly?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
By definition, the DBW has to improve standing-start acceleration. The clutch is engaging more quickly and aggressively from the start which means there is less intentional clutch slippage. Additionally, gear changes from 1st to 2nd happen more quickly as well.

I can definitely tell the difference but, unfortunately, don't have any empirical evidence to report. Recently, I took my Spyder out for a run with my wife and was chirping the tires in 2nd and 3rd! This is something that has never happened before and I've had the DBW installed for about 1-1/2 years. I think the car's computer 'learned' my driving habits based on recently tracking the car.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the DBW module now in place I can say without question that the car is noticeably quicker to 60.

The install was tricky for me because: a) the ECU refused to move, b) a finger sliced on a piece of raw sheet metal, refused to clot due to repeated force, slowed the progress, and c) Maserati changed the color of a key wire. Under normal circumstances this would have been a piece of cake.

But it paid off in spades. I've read repeatedly that THIS is how Maserati should have programmed the car and I couldn't agree more. Going back to stock would be terribly annoying now that I've had a taste of its potential. Highly recommended!

And as you've read 100 times before, Jeff is a champ! Great guy, great product.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very common with Maserati. For anyone that hasn't yet found this out the hard way, you must always count pin outs before cutting.
Jeff said the same thing. Had I been able to get the ECU removed I'd have known this soon enough to save myself a lot of trouble. Kinda defeats the purpose of color-coded wires if you're going to use whatever is handy. The first wire (which looked correct) was ultimately wrong and the car wouldn't start. Key wouldn't even turn far enough to try, which I assume is a precautionary function and might have saved my butt.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(I posted the followup in the wrong thread - this is being used in a QP)

·
Registered
76 Posts
By definition, the DBW has to improve standing-start acceleration. The clutch is engaging more quickly and aggressively from the start which means there is less intentional clutch slippage. Additionally, gear changes from 1st to 2nd happen more quickly as well.

I can definitely tell the difference but, unfortunately, don't have any empirical evidence to report. Recently, I took my Spyder out for a run with my wife and was chirping the tires in 2nd and 3rd! This is something that has never happened before and I've had the DBW installed for about 1-1/2 years. I think the car's computer 'learned' my driving habits based on recently tracking the car.
I agree with Vincenzo - the 0-60 time has to be better if for no other reason than the FD mod eliminates the 0.25 -0.5 second lag in 1st gear engagement I experienced in the stock setup.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i suspect my dbw on my 4200GT is fitted wrongly by my installer...the throttle response is definately quicker in all gears, but the shifting has not been improved much. it still slurs and relatively slow to respond...i still need to keep the sports modeon to get the car shifting proper. I drive under normal conditions, non-spirited driving, ie: changing up at 3000rpm. i live in Singapore by the way.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
If you have the DBW installed, you should keep sports mode on and make sure that your DBW toggle switch is set to the most aggressive mode of operation - you should double check just to make sure.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have one in a 6MT car and it makes a huge difference.

Does it decrease 0-60? I'll bet it does.

Simple carpenter logic: my guess is that it takes at least .75 seconds to press the pedal to the floor to get peak power in an OEM set up (due to the ridiculous travel). Assuming the DBW feeds the power in at twice the rate and then flattens which is what it feels like (rate actualy feels more like 3X to me) then that would yield the same power in 1/2 the travel and therefore half the time. Time savings would be 0.75/2 X 2 gears = .75s.

Getting 0.75 seconds off 0-60 in a car that weighs 3800 would otherwise require another 125HP - maybe more. The way I see it, the DBW is like virtual NOS!!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Flash - I like your logic!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
VNOS! I like it!

I have one in a 6MT car and it makes a huge difference.

Does it decrease 0-60? I'll bet it does.

Simple carpenter logic: my guess is that it takes at least .75 seconds to press the pedal to the floor to get peak power in an OEM set up (due to the ridiculous travel). Assuming the DBW feeds the power in at twice the rate and then flattens which is what it feels like (rate actualy feels more like 3X to me) then that would yield the same power in 1/2 the travel and therefore half the time. Time savings would be 0.75/2 X 2 gears = .75s.

Getting 0.75 seconds off 0-60 in a car that weighs 3800 would otherwise require another 125HP - maybe more. The way I see it, the DBW is like virtual NOS!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts