Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaaarrrgh! I drove my car into work a few days last week since the Bimmer was in for service. Yesterday I noticed that one of my rims has serious curb rash around the entire circumference! I have no idea how this happened since I park in a garage. The only thing I can come up with is that I must have taken a street corner too close making a right hand turn.

I plan on entering my car into several concourse events next year so I want it to be perfect. Anyone have a good repair service to recommend? I've used WheelCollision in the past.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sorry to hear that Vicenzo.

I have a few of those but since it's my daily driver I don't bother getting it fixed. I know if I fix it it's gonna happen again on the next day, you know, one of those things...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you want it perfect, you need to get a new wheel from Maserati IMO. The factory has the benefit of higher paint finish standards than any refinisher I have met.

Sorry,
Nick

·
Registered
250 Posts
Anyone have a good repair service to recommend? I've used WheelCollision in the past.
In the Washington DC area, many people recommend Ye Olde Wheel in Elkridge Maryland. Laurel Jaguar used them before the dealership closed down. About 10 years ago they repaired my XJR wheels to my satisfaction. Intel on other car forum sites are favorable.

Wheel Collision Center also does good work and are good at sourcing almost anything. However it is in PA.

A lot of the body shops send them out to Keystone to repair, which is one of those uber wheel repair shops. Keystone repaired my Aston Martin rims; however, they sprayed them in the generic BMW/Porsche silver rather than using the correct Hyundai Glacier Silver Effect paint (yes, AM uses a Hyundai color) and I had to send them back.

Many of the local luxury dealers in your area are doing the wheel repair internally. I actually know the guy who does it for Jaguar and Lexus (I can give you his contact off-line if you want it). The general process they use is documented here: http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheel-repair/wheel-scuff-repair.htm. I actually did this myself on a Porsche rim with very good success. The key is to allow more time for the paint to dry than recommended on the can before spraying the clear coat. I had to redo my first effort.

Another option is http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/ . They can repair your wheel at your home. They also do the wheel repairs for HBL Porsche (and probably for the rest of HBL). If you go this option, contact David at [email protected] - 703-815-9757.

If you are going the perfect route for concours you might want to consider buying a new rim. Often when they repair, the rim lip is not exactly the same as from the factory and the paint look, feel, thickness, etc. is also slightly different. The differences are very slight and no average person would notice without close examination. However, a concours judge would.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Vincent, I agree. We use to Dave Scales at FoW. He does good work; however, because of our low amount of work it would take us 2 weeks to get him on sight. But he does great work.
You can also try Brian at 703.408.7501, he started his mobile wheel repair company a couple months ago, he is currently who FoW is using.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Vincent, I agree. We use to Dave Scales at FoW. He does good work; however, because of our low amount of work it would take us 2 weeks to get him on sight. But he does great work.
You can also try Brian at 703.408.7501, he started his mobile wheel repair company a couple months ago, he is currently who FoW is using.
Yes, to get a on-site appointment did seem like a hassle/wait. Dave said it would be quickest to go to HBL and to work with his tech over there. It's handy to know that Brian is in the business as FoW is the closest luxury auto dealer to my house.

Any local recommendations to replace/fix a shrinking Aston Martin leather dash? - a problem that also seems to plague the Ferrari.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, to get a on-site appointment did seem like a hassle/wait. Dave said it would be quickest to go to HBL and to work with his tech over there. It's handy to know that Brian is in the business as FoW is the closest luxury auto dealer to my house.

Any local recommendations to replace/fix a shrinking Aston Martin leather dash? - a problem that also seems to plague the Ferrari.
Craftsman Upholstery in Fairfax is where we sent all shrinking leather. Talk to Eric at 703.728.8550.

With the wheel repair, I forget if you had the ball polished finish or not, I never could find anyone to fix the ball polished.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all....looks like I have some good options. From what you all have told me, perhaps my best bet is to do both....get the rim repaired as best possible, to keep it as a spare in the garage and then get a new rim to mount on the car. I've actually wanted to have a set-up for the track as well as for daily use so, maybe this will get me in that direction....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts