Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think anyone on these boards has whined more than I have about the really, really terrible operation of the Navigation system (in the QP at least). I solved the problem - and it was cheap too; about the cost of an updated set of navigation CDs from Maserati.

After one too many frustrating moments - I stopped at a Circuit City and bought a Garmin Nuvi 350; a cute little portable nav system. It is SO superior to the system in the QP. If you compared them to people you'd say both units have arms, legs, eyes, breath and walk. But the Maser unit makes it all work together with an 85% IQ brain, while the elegant little Garmin unit has a logical, very clever, near genius IQ brain. I just plug it into the lighter in the back, don't use any mounting and store it in the console. What a delightful little unit, about the size of a deck of cards. A cool thing is if I want to use it for detailed navigation, like in a big sity, the unit will sit solidly on the steering console between the Tach and Speedo gauages like it was made to go there; stays in place quite well.

I took the navigation CDs out of the car. That unit has not further use in my life. If you rely on your navigation system do yourself a favor and play with one of these little technological marvel.

My wife loves it too, but primarily because she doesn't have to listen to me rattle on about how jaw-droppingly bad the Maser unit is (was).

Ken

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thats great that you finally have something usefull in your car, and sad that you had to shop at circuit city to upgrade a $100+ vehicle.

·
Registered
513 Posts
here here

STARDOC said:
Thats great that you finally have something usefull in your car, and sad that you had to shop at circuit city to upgrade a $100+ vehicle.
sheesh.....you coulda at least gone to Best Buy....Circuit City, how Nissan....

My dad has the same unit, he loves it, he actually can understand it, and that is coming from a person who does not know how to operate a tivo machine...

·
Registered
513 Posts
and by the way....

kbrookings said:
I don't think anyone on these boards has whined more than I have about the really, really terrible operation of the Navigation system (in the QP at least). IKen
don't you know it is against the rules to whine and complain about an Italian vehicle? especially here......! what are you thinking!!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the high tech gadgets in these european cars are always overpriced and most are behind in the technology, whether it is the audio, phone, or navi.

i have another garmin unit and it is light years ahead of the factory unit.

the absolutely worst thing on the QP is how you have to enter the addresses by scrolling thru the alphabets...

in any case, i find all the GPS ladies are still absolutely annoying.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nav technology is moving forward amazingly fast. Our system dates to 1998...of course it's going to be slow. Have you compared the gen 1 BMW sytems with the gen 2 and the newest gen 3? Light and day...both times.

In three years you'll wonder how you managed with that little Garmin thing, after the newest models come out. It is time they upgraded it though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just got the new Magellan RoadMate 3000T. It just came out this month. It work pretty good for me. I never used a navigation system before. I have to adjust to it a little bit (took a few wrong turns cause I make turn before it suppose to be :p). I try to operate the navi. in the other Maser., this portable Magellan is much more easier to use. I think all of us, Maserati owner, should order our car without the navigation and buy the aftermarket one instead.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
squid said:
...In three years you'll wonder how you managed with that little Garmin thing, after the newest models come out. It is time they upgraded it though.
absolutely! i would imagine something like the idrive would be a even bigger annoyance in 3 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Toffe
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing