Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in the car this am and turned the key, right off the bat the cluster seemed funny and when I pushed the start button everything just died.

Seems like just a dead battery, weird thing is that I drove the car yesterday with no issues, can't imagine what would drain a battery overnight?

Right now just trying to decide whether to jump / charge the battery or have it towed to the dealer in case it is something that can leave me stranded later.

Anyone dealt with issues like this?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are there other signs of a dead battery that you would have in any other car? I.E. interior lights not coming on. I don't think a battery would die overnight unless you left something on which if you did you should get a new battery or the alternator will join it eventually if you try to reuse that battery.

More details would be nice.
Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interior lights still come on, but those must be very low drainage - half the console lights come on when I turn the key to position 3 (which maybe is "start" for cars without a start button?)

But pushing that start button this am was as clear a sign of a 90% dead battery as in a 1970 car...

So rather than getting the car towed I plugged in a battery charger (at a lowest 2 amp setting) and will let that go overnight.

Now that I am back at home rethinking this:

I did realize that there is a small possibility that I may have left the key in position "2" overnight (car is in my A/C'd garage so normally I leave the keys in it). And in position 2 the headlights are off but the A/C still goes on, which I had at minimum speed but that would definitely explain the drain.

The car did all kinds of funny things too, like half raise the windows that were down.

So I'll let it sleep with the trickle charge overnight, doors open in case the windows act up again (per the manual), and hope that this is not a Maser issue but just my own stupidity. There is the fact that my young son run into the garage as I was parking and that may have thrown me off, that would be the happiest explanation.

Oh well. Still loving this car more every time I drive it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thebimbo said:
You'll need the Becker code card too to activate the hifi ...
You mean the stereo, not "Hi-Fi"? :D

thebimbo said:
Remember that in current models there is a master power switch in boot if you know you won't be using ur car for a while.
Vagely remember something about this, but hoping not to be dealing with that - surely the car has at least some hours after a battery disconnect before it goes to neverland? Sounds like a painful procedure!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, couple of hours with the charger by now and I dared turn the key (not start, just turn) - the cluster is way more normal and the batt gauge made it up to the first notch.

I'm pretty sure this will end up as owner stupidity, maybe I should get into the habit of removing the keys when I park (silly as that sounds).

Looks like nothing drained too far so no need for the Becker code or the gyrations with the other set of numbers on the other card.

Couple of things I noticed though:

1) There is a nice 12v outlet right by the battery.

2) There is a rotary knob to "disconnect" the battery elegantly - guess I should have known this one.

Anyway, I'll throw the charger and a long extension chord in the trunk tomorrow when I drive to work just in case, but I'm pretty sure I'm done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drained Battery in my GS

I had a similar problem in my 3200. It turned out to be the GPS anti theft tracking system that was not "shutting down" as it should do.
They replaced it under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts