Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2004 Cambiocorsa coupe yesterday. I have a question regarding downshifting.

I'm still getting used to downshifting with the F1 paddle shift. Especially in city stop and go traffic changing from 2nd to 1st gear, I find the car jerks.
I note the car wil automatically downshift for me and it's much smoother.

Will I wear out the clutch or transmission if I let the car/computer downshift for me all the time?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Stay out of stop and go traffic... :?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Every now and then, stop and go traffic is inevitable. You're important and people behind you can wait. I put mine in neutral and coast after the driver ahead of me leaves some distance. I'll also put it in neutral coasting up to stop signs/lights.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Exactly what opec says - try to do as few "launches" as possible, even at the expense of pissing off the impatient drivers around you. I've even gotten to the point of choosing routes that involve fewer stops and less likelihood of stop-and-go traffic...

Maybe for the 2010 model we can have a small hybrid electric motor that bypasses the clutch for "creep mode"... :idea:

Maserati, you can send me a monthly royalty or a new QP if you use my idea. :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Take it from someone who has 13k miles on the stock clutch. When you know you're coming to a complete stop just throw it in neutral. If you are not coming to a complete stop then just downshift, if you stay out of sport mode it should not be jerky. But staying out of sport mode will decrease your clutch life greatly.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
JackHuang said:
I just got a 2004 Cambiocorsa coupe yesterday. I have a question regarding downshifting.

I'm still getting used to downshifting with the F1 paddle shift. Especially in city stop and go traffic changing from 2nd to 1st gear, I find the car jerks.
I note the car wil automatically downshift for me and it's much smoother.

Will I wear out the clutch or transmission if I let the car/computer downshift for me all the time?
as the others mentioned, popping to N is good idea.

i think in city "stop and go traffic", changing from 2nd to 1st gear is redundant and absurd. i don't do this with a MT car and why start on a roboticized MT box? if you are in 2nd and slows to a stop/stall, let the CC downshifts for you.

yeah, it's cool to hear the downshift, but please keep in mind your brakes are cheaper to replace than your CC.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nevin, correct. The clutch plate is engaged longer in non-sport and auto transmission. I always pop to neutral when coasting to a stop.
My biggest pet peeve with the CC however is that unless you are going over 10mph you need to depress the brake pedal completely in order to switch from N to 1. Sometimes I worry that I will get rear ended at a stop light.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I hate to say it, but I agree with thebimbo.. I *never* take my MT car completely out of gear while driving. I want to be able to go at any point if I need to. I can also say that I have gone on hundreds of test drives with folks driving MT cars, and I am pretty surprised at people's habits\skill when using an MT car. Most people take the car completely out of gear, and coast to the light on the brakes. Even if I have to put up with a little bit of a bump - I would much rather be ready to hit the gas than be helpless if the need arises.
Plus, you still have to re-engage to 1st gear, and then there is the possibility that you don't quite get your foot on the brake, and when you hit the gas, you find out you're not in first when the car behind you hears the power and tries to keep up with the Maser...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
maserati of minneapolis
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing