Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious how many of us downshift to neutral when stopping at a light or just leave it in 1st gear? Does leaving it in 1st wearout the clutch faster?

·
Registered
835 Posts
i would say 70% of the time. DEpending on the traffic and road condition.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Never shift into neutral. How do you do that again? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Revs?

Is it true that in low/no revs but in 1st gear the CC is not deploying the clutch? In a manual if you don't shift to neutral without depressing the clutch you stall. If you use the clutch all the time...well you know what that will do to your clutch life.

Since there has been a lot of discussion around clutch life, I was wondering whether there was a relationship between "Neutral shifters" and "Leave it in first" types.

I always shift down to neutral but it is a pain. Particularly since you have to have your foot on the brake to get it back in 1st. It would be much easier to leave it in 1st most of the time. I just don't want to crush my clutch life.

So it really begs the question: How was the CC designed to be operated?

·
Registered
824 Posts
When sitting at rest in 1st, the clutch is depressed.

Depressing the clutch doesn't really hurt clutch friction surface life.

I thought this post was about downshifting slowing down to a light (the age old discussion, brakes are cheaper to replace than a clutch etc.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd leave it in First Gear, always ready to go....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I leave it in 1st. When the car is stopped and in 1st gear the friction plate (the part that wears) is not engaged, so the car is essentially in a neutral position. The only thing that I can think of is that when the car is at a stop in 1st the pressure plate is engaged. However, I have not heard of the pressure plate failing or wearing out on this car before the friction plate. Probably because the friction plate wears out so quickly. In general a pressure plate failing before a friction plate is not the norm on any car.

When I have decided to put the car in neutral I usually forget that it's in neutral and try to go when the light changes, looking like an idiot, especially because people are always staring at the car. I think the risk of being rear ended is far more likely than a pressure plate wearing out.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Probably doesn't save anything but....

I have gotten pretty good at poppin from 3rd or 4th gear into N and coasting to a stop. I figure instead of running the gears up and down, I'd rather replace a set of brakes. If I am only in 2nd, I usually never goto neutral.

I do not think popping into neutral hurts anything?? I have just gotten so used to it that its second nature. As soon as I am completely stopped I shift into first.

How many people hit 5th and 6th gear when they are going less than 60 - 70 mph? I tend to save 6th gear for when I am flying... I have been known to drive in 4th gear up to 60 - 70 mph... I know it puts a little more strain on the engine and keeps the revs up, but is this a VERY bad way to drive?

CM

·
Registered
188 Posts
As to the original poll, the answer would be that I never go to N, same reasons as many have posted above.

On a related note, sucks to see people trying to drive their car in strange ways just to "save the clutch"... you paid this much for a car, enjoy it. If it makes you feel better budget for a clutch replacement every two years, even though that is not the norm at all. But it may take the mental edge off having to baby the CC and lessening your enjoyment of your car.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gear Change

I leave it in 1st gear.

I also tend to use the 6th only on freeways and when I am going at least 50-60 or so.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
wow. everyone drives differently. or they need to really teach us how to drive a CC or DS again?

the answer for me is no, i do not drop it to N.
unless i anticipate the light will be more than 30s to a minute.

and no, i do not coast from 3 or 4 in N in my QP or any manual car to a stop. i think that is dangerous to some extend that you are not even in gear.

i think my QP's DS for once beeped me on '1' after i have been waiting for awhile, and it prompted me to go into 'N'.

i agree with many of the posts above.

maybe someone can clarify how the CC or DS goes from a standstill (either N or 1) and into 1st. i dont think selecting "1" in a standstill is equivalent in a manual with the clutch in and 1st engaged in the shifter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe its just me...

Someone noted about the misconception coming from driving an automatic but actually for me it is the lack of a clutch that confuses me. Having driven porsche, bmw , honda and toyota manuals(mr2 spyder-- first car!) i find the lack of a clutch a little unsettling. Historically, I always downshifted when approaching stops but always ended up in Neutral. I NEVER left my foot on a fully depressed clutch while I sat at a light. It is certainly possible that I have always been misunderstood but I always thought that leaving it in first and holding the clutch down was bad pratice. Because of my own driving history, I naturally tended to do the same thing on the CC.

But on the CC, leaving it in Neutral is a pain and I read the threads relating to clutch life and the differing amount of wear folks have experienced. I was just curious if not only downshifting but leaving in 1st had any effect on wear.

It seems that most believe that the 1st has no bad effects on the clutch and if this is the case than I too will leave the car in 1st and continue to downshift because in sport mode there is nothing sweeter than the sound and feel of a CC downshifting.

-Eric

·
Registered
74 Posts
Leaving the car in 1st when the car is stopped has absolutely no bad effect on the clutch. It has the same effect as leaving a manual transmission in 1st and keeping the clutch pedal depressed. At a stop the CC is automatically depressing the clutch plate and disengaging the friction pad which is why you don't stall and why there is no wear to the friction pad. As you start to accelerate the CC slowly starts to engage the clutch. While it is a completely different mechanism think of a centrifical clutch on a go-kart or mini-bike. You start the go-kart but the clutch does not engage until you give it gas.

The reason that keeping the car in 1st and depressing the clutch pedal is bad practice is because if you accidently slip off the pedal or release it by mistake you are either going to stall the car if your foot is on the brake, jump into the intersection or rear-end the person in front of you.

·
Registered
835 Posts
M! said:
...and no, i do not coast from 3 or 4 in N in my QP or any manual car to a stop. i think that is dangerous to some extend that you are not even in gear...
i guess it all depends on your driving habbit (good or bad) I coast in N all the time in my MINI. Just as long as you know what you're doing :) use gas pedal wisely and ease up on the breaks and transmission.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
things are starting to clear up!
anyways no one drives with the clutch in on 1st at a stop.
i consider myself a fairly good manual driver. my M coupe's clutch is at 55000km (70% city) and it is still good. i believe the aggressive driving (as with the sport setting on the CC or DS) actually save the clutch from rubbing it down.

i was out a bit and notice NOTHING in terms of the car's behaviour at a stop on "N" or "1" (or "D" for the matter). the revs are the same. the vibrations on the car is the same. it's just i have to flick the + to get it back to 1.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
haha said:
i guess it all depends on your driving habbit (good or bad) I coast in N all the time in my MINI. Just as long as you know what you're doing :) use gas pedal wisely and ease up on the breaks and transmission.
i agree i do that sometimes on about 2-3 cars length to a stop on a manual car. certainly most people can still get it back in gear on an emergency (or just brake).
but on a CC or DS you have to be on the pedal and let the computer get back in gear... and we know how slow that process can be.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
chris7469 said:
How many people hit 5th and 6th gear when they are going less than 60 - 70 mph? I tend to save 6th gear for when I am flying... I have been known to drive in 4th gear up to 60 - 70 mph... I know it puts a little more strain on the engine and keeps the revs up, but is this a VERY bad way to drive?

CM
Heck, I have been known to drive in 2nd gear up to 80 MPH! :)

Let your Maser breathe...and don't be afraid of 7000+!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Clutch

It may not be of importance with clutch life being so low on the CC DS systems, but on a manualy operated manual car, keeping the clutch depressed is quite a bad habbit and can fail the clutch release bearing before friction material, as they are not designed to be held off for long periods of time.

As said the QP does a warning beep if you leave it in 1st... So I shift to N, just like I would if i were driving a manual manual. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts