Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to owner's manual for QP, it is advised to leave foot on gas pedal when upshifting (although I find it slightly smoother when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 to let up ever so slightly). On downshifting when braking, presumably foot is off gas or is on the brake.

My question is, what is the best way to down shift when wanting to accelerate, e.g. passing on highway. Typical scenario is going 65mph in 6th gear and to pass; going to 5th doesn't really give much acceleration boost, so I have been going down to 4th.

Should one let foot off gas first? Doing so causes a deacceleration, just the opposite of what I want. If I read the owner's manual correctly, it suggests depressing pedal before the downshift when accelerating. What do they mean by this? Depress and hold down gas while down shifting or depress and let off just before downshift? If one is to hold it down, how far down? I find giving gas before shift is very jerky, and further, I am not sure what that is doing to the clutch! Maybe I am doing it wrong; any strategies to suggest?

·
Registered
722 Posts
The Cambiocorsa/Duoselect cars are designed to have the accelerator held steady while shifting. The fastest acceleration up through the gears will be while holding the gas down, and the car is built and programmed for it. There is some clutch life tradeoff, though.

Like you say, for smoother part-throttle shifts, you can also let up nearly completely through the shift just like you would on a manual (because that's what it is). This is easier on clutch life.

When downshifting to accelerate under power, keeping your foot on the gas will crack off fast downshifts with that great sound. If you instead downshift first, then apply gas after the shift completes, the shift will be slow because the car thought you wanted smooth rather than fast.

Upshift and downshift shift speeds are determined by how much throttle you have applied as the shift starts: more gas = faster shift.

To downshift on the way to a stoplight, keep a little gas on through the downshift to smooth it and prevent lurching as the lower gear engages.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
According to owner's manual for QP, it is advised to leave foot on gas pedal when upshifting (although I find it slightly smoother when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 to let up ever so slightly). On downshifting when braking, presumably foot is off gas or is on the brake.

My question is, what is the best way to down shift when wanting to accelerate, e.g. passing on highway. Typical scenario is going 65mph in 6th gear and to pass; going to 5th doesn't really give much acceleration boost, so I have been going down to 4th.

Should one let foot off gas first? Doing so causes a deacceleration, just the opposite of what I want. If I read the owner's manual correctly, it suggests depressing pedal before the downshift when accelerating. What do they mean by this? Depress and hold down gas while down shifting or depress and let off just before downshift? If one is to hold it down, how far down? I find giving gas before shift is very jerky, and further, I am not sure what that is doing to the clutch! Maybe I am doing it wrong; any strategies to suggest?
Keep the be-atch down, and don't be afraid of revving the engine. A Maserati engine just starts to come to life at 6000 RPM.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Forgot to mention, we don't say "jerky". We say "dynamic" or "involving" instead.

Also, say "race-bred" rather than "needlessly complex".

·
Registered
246 Posts
Perfect!!!

Also, something like "handmade by Italian craftsmen" rather than "quirky" or some other similar term.

Forgot to mention, we don't say "jerky". We say "dynamic" or "involving" instead.

Also, say "race-bred" rather than "needlessly complex".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts