Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got instructions how to remove the exterior door handle on a 2005 4200/ spyder car.

Reason for removal is a bit of the cheap sintered metal loop that holds each end of the door handle in place when you lift it has snapped, so it lifts out on one end when you pull the handle up.

I have the door panel off, window out and rear window guide strut removed for access.

I see what look like 2 limit switches... one on the lock barrel and one on the door handle .. I assume this second one drops the window when u lift the handle...

I cannot see any electrical connectors in the door for these switches

There are multiple link connections and small nuts... i don’t want to mess this up... given all the issues that can arise with these door mechanisms.

Anyone have a ‘How to’ guide... couldn’t find any videos on YouTube.

Appreciate insights...

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
There one bolt at the bottom of the door handle and two at the top. Pull the rod off that locks the door it has black plastic ends and unscrew the locking mechanism this will alow the other rod room to drop out of position, unplug the wires, then its just a matter of manoeuvring the handle to get it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There one bolt at the bottom of the door handle and two at the top. Pull the rod off that locks the door it has black plastic ends and unscrew the locking mechanism this will alow the other rod room to drop out of position, unplug the wires, then its just a matter of manoeuvring the handle to get it out.
Thanks for this, can you advise where is the connector to release the sensor cables for the handle/ lock limit switches... I couldn’t see anything inside the door....

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I managed to get the handle out... exceptionally tight fit, thought I might have to remove to lock barrel, thankfully not.

If this ever happens to you, after a lot of consideration.... the best way to fix without a complete replace of the unit is to cut a little notch in the metal under the spring looping the door lever mechanism with a dremel and pull the spring down tight/ snug into the new notch.

This prevents any movement in the opening arm under load. The broken loop metal piece ( which was load bearing no longer is, or at least has considerably reduced loading with this adjustment) doesn’t have enough surface area for a strong bond by itself... I concluded a fix in just this area was at best very short term before another likely break.

As a ‘belt and braces’ I also made up a brace piece from some old door bracket covers I had laying around.

Which was bonded using gorilla glue and metal epoxy.

Pictures attached for info.

Rgds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts