Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well not really...i heard this guy trying to speed to a prior light.....i was behind another person who by fate moved over so it was Acura and I in the #1 and #2 lanes of 3, he was stopped at the Stop Light, I was just slowing towards the light...I got next to him just as the light turned Green....

what I learned however is that if you are just rolling to a stop with some RPMs between 2nd and 1st gear and then punch it, (with MSP off), your car will do some weird things,...the rear end fishtailed, the RPMs shot up and sort of idled, I think the car redlined and shut down, i think the f1 system was completly confused ....I had to work on getting the car back under control, the Acura was a 1/2 block ahead of me..

Im sure the Acura guy is having a good laugh at the watercooler this AM

the lesson here is that it is best to be from a dead stop if you plan to do a little street racing...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds like you were a victim of MSP... in my experience once it kicks in it takes a huge number of seconds for things to start behaving again, more than one would expect.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
demoe said:
...what I learned however is that if you are just rolling to a stop with some RPMs between 2nd and 1st gear and then punch it, (with MSP off), your car will do some weird things,...the rear end fishtailed, the RPMs shot up and sort of idled, I think the car redlined and shut down, i think the f1 system was completly confused ....I had to work on getting the car back under control, the Acura was a 1/2 block ahead of me..

Im sure the Acura guy is having a good laugh at the watercooler this AM

the lesson here is that it is best to be from a dead stop if you plan to do a little street racing...
sorry but i have a good laugh too. not sure if the acura driver will post in another forum.

anyways, were you in 2nd or 1st, or "with some RPMs between 2nd and 1st gear"????

·
Registered
15 Posts
That happens i'm afraid with the 4200GT.. dont know why.. i test drove one after buying the QP to see if i should replace my M3 with one of those so as to have another Maser in the garage.. but yeh i tried that from a roll and before i knew it i was admiring the road ahead of me from the side window..

the QP's gear is much better in that respect... in addition, when i floored the 4200 from a standstill, the car wouldnt move.. it just revved all the way up as tho it was in neutral... i realise that this is like the launch control system working, but heck, if you lined up next to someone at the lights, and the lights turned green, a Toyota Yaris would have taken off and you'de still be in ur spot revving like a knucklehead..lol.. thats another thing i didnt like...

either way, its a maser, its exotic, its great fun to drive! but do what i do, keep traction on unless ur in the mood to drift!

·
Registered
43 Posts
demoe,

From your description, it sounds like either ASR or the rev limiter cut power to your engine. I do plenty of cut and thrust driving in Boston traffic in my 2002 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa. Here is what I do:

I find that city streets are much lower grip than the freeway. If the car is rolling, I don't use 1st gear as the torque overwhelms traction. 1st is only used from a stop. For all other city driving, 2nd is perfect. Even in 2nd gear on unevenly surfaced city streets, the car can't take full throttle without spinning the tires, so feathering the throttle and feeling for traction is a must when accelerating. Shifting is not a factor, as 2nd is good for 70 mph - which is plenty for city streets. I leave ASR engaged to minimize the changes of a "heart attack moment"

If you are gentle on the gas, avoid 1st gear, and leave ASR on, you should have no problems dicing with traffic, and Acura or BMW driving middle-aged punks! :)

- Jon

PS: Watch out for the soccer moms - they will run you off the road if you try to out-accelerate them :) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
BusDriver
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing