Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Definitely not with the Maserati, or for that matter with any car .. but, just some anecdotal info :
I bought a 2011 Nissan Sentra for my son when he was 17.. he is now 28 and has put 90,000 miles on that car. I JUST found out yesterday that he NEVER had an oil change on that car . :surprise::surprise: The car runs perfectly, just as if it was practically new. I looked at the dipstick and it was down less than a qt., but the oil was as black as charcoal. Did not smell weird though . Keep in mind that also means the oil filter is the original one . I don’t know what to think, I told him to take the car and have the oil changed immediately, but the fact that the engine did not sear itself at 90 K miles with the same oil is nuts ! To make this even crazier, I’m pretty sure it’s conventional oil, not synthetic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a 91 Honda accord I changed the oil every 30,000-40,000 miles I put 367,000 miles on it sold it to a guy down the street it's still running like a champ. I used 15-40 same oil we run in the Detroit and Cummins at the company I worked at. We change the oil every 75,000 miles I figured if these trucks can go that much pulling the loads they did then my little car could go a lot too.
The owners manual for my 05 coupe gt says 12,500 for oil change, I bet when I get there and I pull an oil sample unless something has failed and is putting antifreeze or fuel in the oil I bet the oil will be just fine.
I'll still change the oil and filter only takes a few minutes to change and when I decide to sell I want to be able to say and show all the required maintenance has been done. Oil technology is so good today compared to yesteryear it really takes a lot to break down the oil and start seeing engine failures.

3,000 Posts
I can't get behind a 30-40K oil change interval...sorry...I can't even get behind a 12.5K one...That is an oil change once a year...I like to put a car in the air and look it over every 6 months at least...You can have debris caught under the car and stuff in the tires....I understand we live in just put gas in society, but I'm kinda old school...Jason

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
In my 2005 QP I get the oil changed once a year "whether it needs it or not" ;)

But I generally drive less than 6,000 miles all year. And I use synthetic oil which supposedly gives some insurance by lasting longer.

The OP story is why my wife continues to be the titled owner of our daughter's car, and why I get it maintained for her.... can't trust kids these days. Dang car has more dings than the bell at a boxing match.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil is one thing, but I can’t imagine what that original filter must’ve looked like after so many miles , it’d be a miracle if it was not completely disintegrated . I should have asked him to bring it back after the change yesterday, but I did not think about it . Initially I thought that car just does not burn oil at all, but my son said he did top it off once in a while when his low oil alert light came on , he just did not know it needs to be ever changed, nor knew there was a filter .. ugh :|

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jason I completely see your point and really agree with you. I just found it so interesting how oil technology and filtration has become so good over the years, as our oil change intervals have gotten longer and longer we're at 75,000 miles now and looking to go 100,000 the overall engine wear is very minimal I can't tell you how many sets of main,rod,cam bearings pistons and liners that have little to no wear and I'm talking about engines with 700,00-800,000 miles on them.
I just figured what the heck I'll just see how my little car does changing the oil at 30,000-40,000 miles. I'm now running a 02 ford escape with 234,000 on it and I've changed the oil 5 times, It may die tomorrow but it's done really good so far.
I'm in no way saying anyone should do this, I think the best thing anyone can do is follow the OEM recommendations for oil changes.

3,000 Posts
Really hard to compare diesel engine longevity to a gasoline engine as you probably know...Diesel fuel has a lot better lubrication properties than gasoline and the engines rev lower and tend to last a lot longer....They also run on ink if you have gotten the oil on your hands :) Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts