Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had this car for a week or so, but every 15 starts or so, I get a big billow of smoke (bluish maybe) from the exhaust. Not always the first start of the day. Looks like oil smoke. Is this normal-- any suggestions or comments?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I get the same thing and have seen a car at the dealer do it.

It seems to do it more often when the car has been started once briefly and stopped.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My dealer told me about a customer who started using his car regularly on the track and then complained it was blowing some smoke at start up.
When Maserati were asked they said this was normal behaviour and that the car is designed to clear oil residue in this way after HARD use.
Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be great to get others members' confirmation or observations on this -- otherwise, with only 12K miles, I wonder if this is a valve seal problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same thing happens with mine from time to time on start-up, I have brought it up to the dealer and apparently it is normal for these cars to do it. In fact as I was asking the question a brand new coupe started infront of us and did the exact same thing!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your messages -- I was about to chew out the dealer who sold me the car for not having checked it out!! Happy motoring. I've got six weeks or so before she goes into storage for winter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2004 Coupe here. Same thing since I got it with 300 miles on it (4,800 now).
I feel a little embarassed when I start the car in front of people and a plume of blue smoke comes out and hangs around the back of the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So do I - I haven't had a car do this since my 69 Chevy. Somehow it seems more acceptable with that car! Does this burning off cause a significant loss of oil?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've never noticed it, but it seems normal I guess. After driving my car hard, I drive it around for about 2 miles at lower rpm's. I also drive my car daily so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well...with other cars (mind you I havnt driving my Maserati "full time" yet..) white/blue -ish smoke from the exhaust when you start up or accelerate means the oil ring on either one, or more, of your pistons is worn, and oil is traveling and mixing wiith the gas/air mixture and being combust...ed.

PS. Sorry for the old thread posting... it's just that nobody mentioned this.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Just another its normal don't worry about it post.

Blue smoke is oil, white smoke can be either coolant or rich air\fuel mixture. Coolant will have a very sweet smell with it, almost like burning brown sugar. Burning clutch \ brake fluid is very acrid. Like rotting fish.

I suspect it has to do with the Aluminum block\head and piston makeup expanding at different rates. When the car is shut off warm vs cold there is not as much oil residue left above the pistons because of the thermal expansion vs. a thicker coating when left after driving for a short period and the engine not coming up to full temperature, combined with high oil pressure. I'm fairly sure this is also why the synthetic oil is more important, due to its thermal stability..

The car shouldn't burn enough to worry about it in between changes, since these have a pretty generous sump with plenty of reserve.

Compare this to any Porsche turbo, which is expected to burn a quart every 1000 miles during break-in, and 1qt per 1500-3k after that I think?

- Mark

·
Registered
530 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
Compare this to any Porsche turbo, which is expected to burn a quart every 1000 miles during break-in, and 1qt per 1500-3k after that I think?
right you are. with the flat six and dry sump the only place for the oil to settle is in the bottom of the cylinders and you always get some smoke at startup.

the owner's manual for the Targa says add a quart every 600 miles - that's about every 2 fillups.

they also mark their territory almost as badly as a Brit motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Small Quantity of Blue Smoke on Startup

Is caused because forged pistons need more tolerance in the cylinder walls than cast pistons due to the amount of expansion once the pistons are at running temperature. Until the piston expands, it's get's warm enough in the combustion chamber, it's completely normal for it to blow out just a tad of blue smoke. Now my custom built 327 Chevy even does this because of the forged pistons and the greater tolerance needed because of this... It's normal.... In fact the F1 cars all have forged and glass beaded pistons and they smoke exactly the same on startup......

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Anyone with a Harley should be familiar with dry sump oil burning during start up. Same pricipal on the Maser. The pump loses pressure while sitting and the oil leaks back into the cyls. Totally normal and adds to the cars character.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
32 Participants
Vision Girl
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing