Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am getting a Tubi installed on Friday morning and am very excited. While the reason I am getting it is not for increased power, I can't seem to get an answer to the following question: Does the change from a stock exhaust on a coupe to a Tubi provide any additional power to the engine?

Some people say yes (although minor) and others say no. Either way, I'm still getting it, but I'm just curious.

Thanks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would say yes, even though I'm not SURE of it. The nicer sound from exhaust is usually the result of increased resonace due to increased volume of the pipes, right?? So that has to openup space and decrease back-pressure, therefor increasing hp. Thats my logic atleast, and your right nobody who knows anything ever seems to want to speak about this issue.

BTW I know that there are stil Cats and Pre-cats and headers and all that still in there with Tubies, but the increased volume must to free up some HP, even if its just a little.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I put Tubi on my 2003 Coupe and never noticed a difference....except for that awesome sound! Used to vibrate the whole house when parking in the garage...wake my wife up on the other side of the house! (Though....that did make it difficult to sneak in late.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put Tubi on my 2003 Coupe and never noticed a difference....except for that awesome sound! Used to vibrate the whole house when parking in the garage...wake my wife up on the other side of the house! (Though....that did make it difficult to sneak in late.)
Hi Maseratifan:

How would you compare the loudness and sound quality between the GS in sports mode versus your '03 coupe with tubi (sport or silenced?)? thanks for your input.. JK

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am not sure about Tubi, but I had a X-OST muffler and center pipes installed in my 02 Spyder and I could definitely tell the difference in power and acceleration from the original. Not forgetting the nice sound on both low and high RPM's. I have been trying to get some time to Dyno the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am just going to throw this out there, i'm not 100% sure about it though. Our Tubi exhaust supplier gave us some HP numbers for the current Maseratis.
QP Quiet(compared to Loud) Exhaust: 6-8HP
QP Loud Exhaust: 10-12HP
Coupe/GS: 16-18HP

It sounded a little too good to be true. But like I said, it was our supplier who gave us those numbers.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
+ a few hp at the high end and - a few torque at the low end as mentioned.
also you will loose some weight too.
plus you get that nice sound =)

i think that's how the GS got the slight bump in hp. (perhaps also slight ecu remapping).

·
Registered
909 Posts
I always take those horsepower numbers with a grain of salt. I think they take their 3% better flow number and just apply that to the horsepower, vs. before\after dyno runs.

One of the best things you can do to get more performance from the car is just drive it harder, which I think people have a tendency to do after getting exhaust, and the ECU learns their new aggressive style, and the owner gets more comfortable pushing the car, they drive it harder more often, etc. etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi Maseratifan:

How would you compare the loudness and sound quality between the GS in sports mode versus your '03 coupe with tubi (sport or silenced?)? thanks for your input.. JK
The aftermarket Tubi on the '03 coupe seemed louder than the OEM on the GS......though as the miles pile on the GS it is getting louder to the point where it is pretty similar (in sport mode that is).

Love it!!!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
how many miles on the GS are we talking about to see this change?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm now at 10K miles but by 5K it seemed to get louder. Maybe it is a mechanical failure of some sort, ?loosening of something. In any event I prefer it a little louder so I haven't ask the dealer to address it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the Tubi

Holy crap! I picked up the car on Saturday morning and drove the car home and didn't want to stop driving it. I don't know if there is extra power or not, and really don't care at this point. Amazing sound. Beautiful. It's like driving a completely different car. Incidently, my dealer also said it should get louder over the next few weeks the more I drive it.

I took my first short trip with my wife and baby on Sunday and the sound make the baby fall right asleep. For anyone considering gettinf a Tubi, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I picked up my '05 CC, I was told that the dealership had installed a TUBI. It's loud and I love it. I don't know how quite the original exhaust was, but I've got a friend with a F430 and 550 Marenello, and he's thinking about a TUBI. I think that they add that aural element to the car that only adds to the experience. Even below 3000 rpms, the sound is fantastic! :cool:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Holy crap! I picked up the car on Saturday morning and drove the car home and didn't want to stop driving it. I don't know if there is extra power or not, and really don't care at this point. Amazing sound. Beautiful. It's like driving a completely different car. Incidently, my dealer also said it should get louder over the next few weeks the more I drive it.

I took my first short trip with my wife and baby on Sunday and the sound make the baby fall right asleep. For anyone considering gettinf a Tubi, I highly recommend it.
this is exactly what everyone here driving their maserati should experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts