Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching for something else, and found this data logger that plugs into the ODBII port, and then into a USB port on your computer. Anyone have any idea if it works on our cars?

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip_products.asp

Not something I need to have, but being a gadget junkie, it seems cool if it really works.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
909 Posts
This almost seems like a consumer version of those chips the insurance companies were starting to test to give people cheaper rates.

If it's not on the excluded list it probably does work.

Are you trying to log diagnostic data, or performance data?

If you're looking for performance data, these things are pretty accurate after calibration, and the sequential shift lights are kind of fun:

http://www.gtechpro.com/

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I had an old clunky version of the SS for my Viper. They work on X,Y,Z axis accelerometers and require only a connection to the cigarette lighter for power (although they can pick up RPM from alternator noise). VERY cool devices. They record straight-line and skid pad numbers equally well. I love taking off from the line (light) and backing off at the speed limit to see the estimated 0-60 time flash by (i.e. 4.4) :D You know, I think I want one!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure why I want (I certainly don't need) one of these. Just seems like a cool device. I do track my car 1-2 times per year, and it would be neat to see what is really happening. Maybe it's that old saying "He who dies with more toys......is still dead"!
The Gtech SS/RS devices seem to be more what I am looking for than the Davisnet device.
Anyone know how they figure out HP and torque? Do you have to enter things like loaded car weight or something? I always thought you needed a dyno to measure those.
Mike

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm pretty sure you either choose your car from a menu, or input the weight and redline and 6 gears into it, and the rest is done by calculation from rpm and accelerometers.

I've heard they're accurate to about .1 of a second and about 3mph high vs. drag strip track timers.

In the back of EVO there is always an ad for something like this only it adds in a google earth mashup to lay out your track times and lines vs. the map. Unfortunately I think its a Euro only device.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts