Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for an 03-05 Coupe and was wondering if the software was ever updated to provide rev-matching on downshifts. I have driven a 2002 model and remember that it did not. Did that ever change during the model years?

·
Registered
518 Posts
it is not as quick but it is still there. personally I heel toe it a bit anyway just to make it easier on the gear change

·
Registered
357 Posts
When you downshift, as in slowing to approach a turn, you bring up the RPM to match the new gear ratio. Traditionally, this is done by blipping the throttle with the side of your foot as you brake, a maneuver known as heel-and-toeing. With a CC, it should be done by the computer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What exactly IS rev matching? I never understood it...
When braking at the end of a straight and preparing to turn into a corner, ideally you want to down shift to a lower gear so that you can accelerate out of the turn with more torque.

When doing this in anger, like on a race track, the engine speed (rpm) will be too low execute the downshift without momentarily locking up the rear axle under massive engine braking. To combat the problem you blip the throttle while the car is in neutral, causing the engine's rpm to increase. At the higher revs you release the clutch so that the engine speed is properly matched for the lower gear when the gear is engaged.

In a standard gear shift car with a cluth pedal, this is executed using a technique called 'heel-and-toe'. You're left foot works the clutch while your right foot simultaneously works the brake and throttle (it takes practice!)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have driven a 2002 model and remember that it did not. Did that ever change during the model years?
The 02 CC does blip the throttle on downshifts - but only in Sport mode.
This may depend on the specific software on the car but even after all dealership updates over the years my car still blips!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts