Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on their website and it sounded great - not too high pitched like a ferrari but high enough toalmost sound like one! I know they are expensive in comparison to others, but I don't think I have heard anything as good as this one. btw, the sound of it on the video for the ferrari 360 is just insane. I thought I was watchinga n f1 car go by!

thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
187 Posts
the sound you are hearing is essentially a straight pipe set up. If you like it, go to a muffler shop and cut out your rear boxes and center resonator leaving the X where it is. Of course there is a difference in materials used and the Krreissig uses a lot of materal. you can save 100 lbs with straight pipes, get the same dyno proven power and put lots of money in your pocket after you have spent less than $400 on the straight pipes.

besides, Kreisseg has a real high pitched whine and straight pipes will remind you and everyone else that your car has a V8 in it.

just my opinion,
good luck
Robb

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the beauty of the system is the driver can switch between dr. jerkyl and mr. hyde. it does fit the personality of the maseratis. there are places and neighbourhoods that you do not want to be waking people up or drawing unwanted attention, and there are times you want it to be heard.

the sport button on the GS does switch the valve open with a noticeable effect but not as dramatic as the kreissieg system.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My sales pitch on the Kreis-sieg - You can take the car out and listen to the F1 mode as you hit redline and drool, then you can go back home at midnight without pissing the neighbors off. :)

I know of one forum member that has one and I've sold a few units over the years. Very nice quality piece and I'll hook you up!

Of course straight pipes are much cheaper as Robb stated, but if Kreis-sieg is what you have to have, I'm your dealer.

Regards,

Kevin

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
sentax said:
Worth the price in your opinion?
Let's see, the cat-back F1 system sells for around $5k. If that seems like a lot, I'd recommend a cheaper alternative like Fuchs, Tubi, straight pipes, etc. (Fuchs sounds great, I miss mine even with the Kreis-sieg installed.)

But, if 5k is petty cash, it's probably worth the cost for the juvenile FUN of switching the F1 sound on and off. The Kreis-sieg is a glamorous toy and will pay you back in many unexpected ways. Whew, what an aphrodisiac to be working that on/off switch on dates. :)

On a downbeat note, installation is time consuming because a vacuum system wired to a cabin switch must be installed. There might be a few dealers who would balk at that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks for the reply, very helpful to hear from an actual owner :) I have a GranSport which I'm told comes with a tubi, but it's still a little quiet for my taste.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I removed the rear mufflers and replaced with straight pipes as well. I find it better than stock, maybe a little on the loud side, and am certainly not satisfied. I'm thinking that the center resonator could maybe be removed and replaced with some smaller mufflers/resonators that would "sharpen" the sound a little.
Obviously the exhaust note is a very subjective matter, and hard to quantify, but I think I am looking for a "sharper" (or maybe raspier?) sound. The kries-sieg in the clips in this thread seems to have it, as does the tubi. Has anyone had similar thoughts, or accomplished this by further replacing the center X pipe/resonator section with something else?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Robb, yes I used Kreis-sieg pipes, dummy cats and mufflers back of the exhaust manifolds. I had to put in the European Maserati headers to make it fit. It's unclear what else besides just the Kreis-sieg mufflers the European Spyder in the video clip is running.

cardiffGiant said:
Has anyone had similar thoughts, or accomplished this by further replacing the center X pipe/resonator section with something else?
Sounds like what Robb did. BTW, if you like a raspy note listen to my sound clips. Screaming death machine or what?

·
Registered
187 Posts
CDF, as I said before, your system sounds sweet. Mine is a work in progress.

Removing the cats on my sytem might come close but I believe much of the sound differnce other than that produced by the cats are in the bends and magterials used in the kreisseg. It is a fact that softer materials, like cast iron will slow down sound waves and produce a more deep mellow sound. Harder materials such as stainless steel of high grade (kreisseg) will produce higher sound waves and speed up the sound.

A friend and I both went to the same muffler shop with our coupes and had straight pipes but on by the same guy in the same fashion. THere is a definate difference in sound alone just from small differences in the bends. From idle to high rpm you can spot differences. It is all about tuning the sound waves.

I am going to do some dyno testing with some VERY SMALL stainless straight through mufflers installed at the X or at the back of the system to anylize the power differences and sound quality.

Another thought was to cut my stock back boxes in half , gut them and make some modifications inside so that they will flow air smooth and fast while speeding up the sound and screaming.

I am very happy with my straight pipes, but I like to sqeeze the most power and sound out of everything. It may cost me $5000 to do all this, but it sure will have been fun.

Robb

·
Registered
201 Posts
Robb373 said:
...I am very happy with my straight pipes, but I like to sqeeze the most power and sound out of everything. It may cost me $5000 to do all this, but it sure will have been fun.
Thx, and very educational. You might own a Maserati when: your cheap thrills wind up costing big bucks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts